*sigh* Another device recovery.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My SL2 showed me no recordings today. When the AT40 was recording, it would pop out of satrad mode. Clearly another case of memory corruption ... a big one. Doing the device recovery now. I think I am only going to record the AT40s now. I am using me MP3 player more for commuting anyways.

I probably still won't wind up with logos.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Let us know how it works.

Mine is due for a recovery, I think, due to it not going to SAT mode after I shut my car down. It doesn't happen a lot, but enough to get me angry.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Let us know how it works.

Mine is due for a recovery, I think, due to it not going to SAT mode after I shut my car down. It doesn't happen a lot, but enough to get me angry.

The device recovery always works. And the unit will work for a while. It just needs one about every 3 months. I so wish they would fix this damn issue. Its been well over 1 year now.

And still no logos.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well clearly none of these darn devices are free from having to do factory resets and recoveries! From iPod, Sat Radios to Slacker G1 and G2's they all get bit by the bug.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
i do one about every 6 months....utter garbage if you ask me. How is the XMP3 compared to the SL100? Probably my next device when howard leaves

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
Haven't had to reset or recover since I started shutting down daily (as I record over 15 hours a day). But I started this just a little over two months ago. You guys are scaring me. :scared:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Haven't had to reset or recover since I started shutting down daily (as I record over 15 hours a day). But I started this just a little over two months ago. You guys are scaring me. :scared:

I have been shutting down 4-5 times / week.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I have been shutting down 4-5 times / week.

Do you ever put the SL2 to sleep or shut it down while it is recording? In the past, I discovered that the SL2 will automatically get corrupted if you do certain things during a recording:
  • shutdown or sleep
  • modify the current program
  • delete current program
  • delete saved recordings

Also, as I have Radio Replays on, I make sure to tune a talk channel before doing any of the above actions. I consider that listening to a music channel while Radio Replays is on, is equivalent to recording a program.

But, it hasn't been three months, yet. So, maybe the corruption monster will hit my SL2 too in a little while.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Do you ever put the SL2 to sleep or shut it down while it is recording? In the past, I discovered that the SL2 will automatically get corrupted if you do certain things during a recording:
  • shutdown or sleep
  • modify the current program
  • delete current program
  • delete saved recordings

Also, as I have Radio Replays on, I make sure to tune a talk channel before doing any of the above actions. I consider that listening to a music channel while Radio Replays is on, is equivalent to recording a program.

But, it hasn't been three months, yet. So, maybe the corruption monster will hit my SL2 too in a little while.

I don't breath on my SL2 or look at it the wrong way while it is recording. I have replays off. As far as I can tell this increases usable time but corruption and device recovery is inevitable. Of course Sirius is diligently working on a fix for this issue and will have an update avaliable shortly. It can't be as difficult as changing the logos right?

ETA: good points though.

Last edited:

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I don't breath on my SL2 or look at it the wrong way while it is recording. I have replays off. As far as I can tell this increases usable time but corruption and device recovery is inevitable. Of course Sirius is diligently working on a fix for this issue and will have an update avaliable shortly. It can't be as difficult as changing the logos right?

Actually, they already have the fix and logos ready. They simply fired the guy who was going to trigger the update and now they don't know how to do it anymore. :lolsign:

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
The more I read, the more I'm glad I got the SL100 instead of the SL2.

I listen to about 10 hrs of recorded content a day at work, and record 6 hrs or more over night every night, and my worst problem so far has been when a couple of times a month it won't power on unless I take the battery out and pop it back in first.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I lost all my recordings as well. I would guess it had something to do with daylight savings time change. But it is frustrating. My recording this morning worked find though.

Possible. I even had the forsight to cancel my Sunday morning 2:30AM recording because I figured that the SL2 would not handle a time that didn't exist.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
well, add me to the list of people who need another device recovery. My unit is running SO slow, its inoperable. I hit "library" and after 10seconds or so, it goes to on of my playlists. I can't even get to the "sirius recordings" screen.