Showtime Adds Weekly NASCAR TV Show

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
This sounds like it could be good IMO. Unfortunately for me, I don't get Showtime and will never see it. Maybe some of you out there may be interested in this.....

Showtime said on Monday it will carry a new series, "Inside Nascar," that will be shown each week of the Sprint Cup season. The hour-long program will be taped at the new Nascar Hall of Fame in Charlotte, N.C., and shown Wednesday nights at 10pm, starting Feb. 10. It will carry footage shot at each week's race, as NFL Films does for "Inside the NFL," with commentary from a group of studio analysts that has not been announced. The 38-week-long series will also have access to the many drivers, crew chiefs and owners who are based in the Charlotte area. Showtime has given the series a two-year deal with an option for a third. Ken Hershman, the senior vice president and general manager of Showtime Sports, said the announcers on the show will be familiar from their work at ESPN, Fox, Turner and the Speed Channel.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Sounds interesting...but I don't get showtime either...not even when I had cable/sat. tv.

NoWayHozay

Jan 5, 2009
A day late and a dollar short.

Seriously, where do they get the idea that there is demand for a show like this? On a network nobody's ever going to watch.

This is the exact show that convinced SPEED that carrying NASCAR programming during the week was useless.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Couple things, this can be a great show IF it is like Showtime's Inside the NFL show. I am afraid it won't be as it is being shot at the NASCAR Hall of Fame by NASCAR images so we know NASCAR will keep the criticsm toned down. As far as Showtime being a channel no one has that is the point. Showtime is hoping to increase it's subscription base. There will be people that get showtime to watch, then Showtime is hoping you'll stay for shows like Dexter(GREAT SHOW BY THE WAY) I know some of you won't don't waste internet space saying NOT ME!! not everyone will. However with it only being a 2 year deal they can reevaluate and see if this show helps showtime's subscriptions.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
For any that may be interested.....

Wednesday nights at 10PM ET will be the time and February 10th will be the start date. Analysis and highlights with announcers to be named at a later date.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I'm surprised it's a 2 yr deal. I would've expected a 1 yr try-out deal. If that. Regardless, I don't expect it will do anything to boost subs for them.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Showtime may have some good shows, The L-Word being their best show EVER, but their movie lineup is non-existent, and after all, it is technically a movie channel. Therefore, their sub base will always be pretty low. This show is only good for people that have it, nobody's going to subscribe for it.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Flap what evidence do you have to prove that some folks won't. Notice i used hope to get more in my post. You make a statement like its a fact.. prove it with evidence or shhhhhhhhhh we have no way of knowing for sure whether it will work until they do it. The strategy they are taking has worked in the past. Versus have increased their base by signing the NHL. NASCAR is more popular than the NHL so it CAN work.. will it.. remains to be seen.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Flap what evidence do you have to prove that some folks won't. Notice i used hope to get more in my post. You make a statement like its a fact.. prove it with evidence or shhhhhhhhhh we have no way of knowing for sure whether it will work until they do it. The strategy they are taking has worked in the past. Versus have increased their base by signing the NHL. NASCAR is more popular than the NHL so it CAN work.. will it.. remains to be seen.

But Showtime isn't going to carry NASCAR races ala VS... It's just one show. One show that's probably similar to NASCAR now. If you do know somebody that will subscribe to the channel just for the show, or somebody that subscribes to Showtime only for Inside The NFL, then please point them out.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
again no proof based on your previous statement. If I actually see someone why would I point them out. They can come on here themself if they want people to know their business. The proof will be if it is renewed after 2 years.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
May I also note that I subscribe to Showtime for no apparent reason? I never watch any of the shows since they cancelled The L Word, and their movie selection stinks. But I'll certainly check the show out in Febuary at least once.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
it isn't that bad, but can't say its the best show. it definitely didn't have my full attention the whole time that i had it on. i think directv is offering showtime and a few other channels for $8/month for 3 months.