Should the season be shortened?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I know that it'll never happen with the amount of revenue that would be lost but does it make sense? Why keep going head to head against the NFL? NASCAR will never be able to compete with them. Why not start in Feb and run through the end of August? Thoughts?

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
In a word NO, why does the season need to be shortened? People are gonna watch what they want to watch anyway, it don't matter whether they are going up against Football whether it's the NCAA or the NFL. I don't care what the TV ratings are, Saturday night i was bouncing back and forth between CFB and the race and saw most of everything that happened in both events. I never have understood what the big deal was with TV ratings the only people that care is the network and NASCAR. Why do i care what the ratings are?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Money drives the sport that you love. When the ratings decrease, so does the revenue. Perhaps, if the ratings drop far enough, the networks no longer carry the sport because it is no longer cost effective. Then we may not have the opportunity to bounce back & forth.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
ummmmm... why does everyone assume that everyone else watches football? :confused: I usually watch one football game a year, and most of the time it's for the commercials. Maybe we should end the baseball season now and delay hockey until Feb. :eek:

how much does the ratings drop when football starts? and while we are on the ratings subject, how do they determine ratings anymore? I can remember having to fill out a book for a week for Neilson, but with satellite/cable and 500 channels, have they changed it? does attendance at the tracks drop dramatically?

jC...

Oct 14, 2008
The season doesnt need to be shorter, the races do.

Daytona 500
Southern 500
Talladega 500
World 600
Brickyard 400
Those are ok....

Everything else should be under 300 miles.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I've been saying for years that the baseball season needs to be over when football starts.

In my pre-Sirius days I used to get so mad at ESPN for spending so much time on baseball during the football season. They still do that but thanks to Sirius for the NFL channel I don't listen to their rubbish. AND we can listen to the NFL channel on-line....HELLO NASCAR! Buy the damn rights already.

I've also been a supporter of shortening most of the races. Under my plan there would be no such thing as the "nascar nap". Vote for me. Change. Yes we can.:p

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I am in favor of shortening the race too! Well, all of them except for the ones that I go to. LOL

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
ummmmm... why does everyone assume that everyone else watches football? :confused: I usually watch one football game a year, and most of the time it's for the commercials.

You must be talking about that Steeler game, err, ahh, Superbowl game that they have scheduled to conclude the playoffs. We here in western PA know exactly what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
Money drives the sport that you love. When the ratings decrease, so does the revenue. Perhaps, if the ratings drop far enough, the networks no longer carry the sport because it is no longer cost effective. Then we may not have the opportunity to bounce back & forth.

I agree dp, money does drive the sport but the day that it's not on free tv or ESPN is the day i quit watching. If it goes to PPV their will be "certain" races i'll purchase to watch but for the most part i won't bother. Alot of the races now are like watching paint dry anyway, i don't watch it near as much as i used too anyway.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
As I have said all along Football season starts on or after Thanksgiving when NASCAR is done for the year, then it stops when Speedweeks starts in January. Dont get me wrong I like football, but I'd rather watch a race over a football game.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
No, they shouldn't shorten the season. They should shorten the chase to nine races. 27 Regular Season Race, 9 Playoff Races :)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Cut the schedule by 10... I.e. Drop a lot of track's second race.

TFTFY.gif

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
OK, I've changed my mind..... Shorten most all of the races except for the ones that I pay to see. :rolleyes: Yesterday's race was very exciting IMO.

I still think that the season should be shortened. Why compete head to head against the NFL? Sure, there are some that only care about the race and watch that exclusively. I'd guess though that there are many more that tune into the NFL games and only worry about looking at the Cup results.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I'd guess though that there are many more that tune into the NFL games and only worry about looking at the Cup results

That's me right there. If we were still in the pre-internet days, I'd probably pay more attention to the chase races. Now, I can watch football and click on-line to see race results.

However, I'm sorry I missed yesterday's race.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
That's me right there. If we were still in the pre-internet days, I'd probably pay more attention to the chase races. Now, I can watch football and click on-line to see race results.

However, I'm sorry I missed yesterday's race.

I had to work yesterday so I DVR'd the Steeler/Bears game and the race. I got home just in time to see my Steelers lose. I then switched over to the beginning of the race and skipped all commercials. There is no better way to watch a race on TV than the DVR. If I didn't have the DVR, picture in picture would be my normal NFL/NASCAR season. I can't do without either.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
My stepson just moved out and took his DirectTV with him....so no DVR for me. And I can barely pick up TV so I don't bother with it. I've got Sirius. The local TV stations don't send out a real strong digital signal.

Thank you Federal Government for cutting out analog broadcast that worked so well for decades.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I here you on that one. If I didn't have DirecTV, there's be no Chase for me. ABC can't be picked up from my location about 60 miles from the tower. In Pittsburgh, PA they are, by far, the weakest signal of the networks. I thought that by the transition date to DTV that they'd boost their signal but that never happened.

Here's an explanation on the reasoning behind the DTV transition.....

An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it freed up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum can now be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

Consumers also benefited because digital broadcasting allows stations to offer improved picture and sound quality, and digital is much more efficient than analog. For example, rather than being limited to providing one analog program, a broadcaster is able to offer a super sharp High Definition (HD) digital program or multiple Standard Definition (SD) digital programs simultaneously through a process called “multicasting.”

Oh, and I forgot this.....
bsflag.gif

I have to think that the key words were, 'some of the spectrum can now be auctioned to companies'.