Should Jake Delhomme be replaced in Carolina?

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
The guy came up incredibly small on the big stage. It's not like the Arizona Cardinals are renowned for their fierce defense. And this is not the first time Jake has disappointed when it really counts. I think perhaps some new blood might be a good thing for the Panthers. They were totally dominated and embarrassed by a team that I think is kind of average, and Delhomme had a huge hand in the humiliation that took place. A promising season came to an abrupt halt, kind of like a fast car crashing into a brick wall!

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I would say give him another season and if he gets eliminated the first round, some difficult decisions will have to be made.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I guess I could give Jake one more chance. But I would like the Panthers to arrage a trade to get a QB like Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy during the draft (they won't pick high enough to simply select these guys), and let them back up Delhomme next year..and if Jake cannot do the job, then let that rookie have a chance!

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think that the fans will be on his side. Carolina is a team that should have carried on to the next round.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
No, no, no... I've been a Panther fan for several years now, and Jake must not ruin this organization any longer! If he's there, he's throwing interceptions. If he's not there, some idiot back-up is throwing interceptions.

I'm now praying to the football Gods, and I lay down my Panther apparel, Panther bobblehead, and pray that we either attain Matt Cassel by most any means necessary, or trade for Matt Leinhardt. Veteren... nah, unless Kurt Warner or Kerry Collins is available. Draft pick... take too long to develop. Please, football Gods, SAVE US!!!:pope:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Perhaps Brett Fare will be available. LOL

I guess it depends on what Carolina's designs are on next season. If its rebuiding ... go with a rookie. If not, you need a vetran. Jake could fit that role. The offence could be redesigned to have a run focused offence and strong defence. That type of offence is less suceptable to an unpredictable QB.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
The offense is already designed to focus on the run, but the QB still has to make plays sometimes and avoid interceptions. The defense actually played kind of poorly during the Panthers' last few games.

And I'm not sure I would want Kurt Warner to sign on as Panthers QB. He is a good guy and can still make plays, but at 42, how much does he truly have left? Kerry Collins isn't exactly a spring chicken either. A rookie with a good arm who can avoid throwing picks might actually can thrive in the Panthers' run-oriented scheme with Slash and Dash (RBs Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams).

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Sounds like Jake has Tony Romo syndrome.

Seriously...you don't throw him out for another veteran QB. If you want to bring in a young guy, have him work under Delhomme next year. It's easy to lose sight of the great year Carolina had, but it's about getting to the Super Bowl that matters in the end. As a jilted Giants fan, I can attest to that.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the more interesting QB situation going into the '09 season will be that of Tennessee's. Will Vince Young be the starter? Kerry Collins had a nice season, but he's 36 and really just a back-up who happened to start this season. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think the more interesting QB situation going into the '09 season will be that of Tennessee's. Will Vince Young be the starter? Kerry Collins had a nice season, but he's 36 and really just a back-up who happened to start this season. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

Collins has already said that he doesn't want to come back unless he is a starter.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Collins has already said that he doesn't want to come back unless he is a starter.

If the Titans don't go with Collins, he'll find a home in the NFL. For once in his career, Collins can make a statement like that. I am happy for him. He had a pretty bumpy ride with the Giants, and it's good to see him doing well.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
The offense is already designed to focus on the run, but the QB still has to make plays sometimes and avoid interceptions. The defense actually played kind of poorly during the Panthers' last few games.

And I'm not sure I would want Kurt Warner to sign on as Panthers QB. He is a good guy and can still make plays, but at 42, how much does he truly have left? Kerry Collins isn't exactly a spring chicken either. A rookie with a good arm who can avoid throwing picks might actually can thrive in the Panthers' run-oriented scheme with Slash and Dash (RBs Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams).

Kurt Warner made it farther then the Panthers this year.

I guess it depends on what Carolina's designs are on next season. If its rebuiding ... go with a rookie. If not, you need a vetran. Jake could fit that role. The offence could be redesigned to have a run focused offence and strong defence. That type of offence is less suceptable to an unpredictable QB.

Yeah, but if you start rebuilding now, then you're wasting Williams in his prime as a RB.