Shocker: Keselowski to Penske in 2010

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Brad Keselowski will drive for Penske Racing in 2010, sources told ESPN.com on Friday. Keselowski would not discuss his future plans. "I'm really not prepared to address any of the rumors about next year," he said. "I'm here to race the Nationwide car and win with it tonight and I am not going to let anything get in the way." Keselowski turned down an offer from Roger Penske last year to drive the #12 Dodge, and the ride instead went to David Stremme. Keselowski's current team, JR Motorsports, does not drive in the Sprint Cup Series and co-owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. has no plans to move that team up to NASCAR's top level. Keselowski had hoped to replace Mark Martin next year in the #5 Chevy for Hendrick Motorsports, but Martin decided to keep the seat in 2010. Rick Hendrick on Friday declined to comment on Keselowski's future, and Earnhardt canceled an afternoon media availability.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I personally thought that Hendrick would find some way to keep Keselowski since I think he could be the next big thing. Instead, Hendrick lets go of another talent and it'll probably come back to bite him later. Of course it's Penske, so he could come back to Hendrick when Martin or Gordon retires due to lack of wins.

Also, I like Stremme as a guy, but he's clearly not done anything in the sport, so his career seems to be through as he's pushed out at Penske.

Anybody else shocked by this? What's Keselowski's future?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
He is a talent. And like you said could be the next big thing. Being a Brad and a Hendrick fan I had hoped he'd stay with hendrick. Penske is a good team but face it. Hendrick is better and IMO Dodge is the weakest car out there.
I'm not saying it's a mistake and I'd don't know the deal he got. But I thought it would have been cool if he stayed and ran for the nationwide title full time and did part time cup again.
Ofcourse when you feel it's time to move up, it's time to move up. I just hope he doesn't regret it down the road

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I don't think he has talent, I just think he's in a good can. Steven Wallace could win races in that 88 NNS Car.

I think if he goes to Penske, he'll just become another driver driving around the track. Slightly better than David S, but not as good as Kurt B. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I think he got pissed that Martin is hanging around and there doesn't seem to be a Hendrick ride available and he's wanting to jump to cup NOW. It could really come back to bite his tail in the long run.

He should have stayed put and gone after the NW title next year....and stayed in the Hendrick camp.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
I think he got pissed that Martin is hanging around and there doesn't seem to be a Hendrick ride available and he's wanting to jump to cup NOW. It could really come back to bite his tail in the long run.

He should have stayed put and gone after the NW title next year....and stayed in the Hendrick camp.

I agree, but we live in an "I want it now" society, and that's too bad.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I agree, but we live in an "I want it now" society, and that's too bad.

I totally agree with you but to play devil's advocate for a second, Mark Martin has been retiring since 2005. Who knows when that seat would actually open up? and Barring Jeff Gordon retiring after next year because of back issues I don't see another seat opening up there any time soon.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
I totally agree with you but to play devil's advocate for a second, Mark Martin has been retiring since 2005. Who knows when that seat would actually open up? and Barring Jeff Gordon retiring after next year because of back issues I don't see another seat opening up there any time soon.

Yeah I think MM has thrown a wrench into the works.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Yeah I think MM has thrown a wrench into the works.

I feel that if Mark was having the year he's had for the past five years, he'd be forced out for Brad. Therefore, now Mark will go back to being Mark (he's still on the Chase bubble, even with the wins), and Hendrick will have let go of another great young talent.

Think his talent is hype? He won in a part-time car... In like his 5th race. When was the last time anybody did that?:icon_cool:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Think his talent is hype?

No, not at all. But I hope he doesn't end up like so many other drivers who had talent but got in a bad ride and it put a "mark" on them, if you will. And once that happens it seems no team wants to give you another chance. How many drivers can we cite that that has happened to in the last 10-15 years?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Rick Hendrick is a great judge of talent. His 8 Championships prove that.

I think if Brad K. were a talent, Rick would keep I'm in HMS equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Rick Hendrick is a great judge of talent. His 8 Championships prove that.

I think if Brad K. were a talent, Rick would keep I'm in HMS equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not necessarily... The Hendrick stable is filled up, and for whatever reason he couldn't get a Stewart-Haas ride, which surprised me.

As for Hendrick being a great judge of talent, who wants to bring a Jr. discussion up?:D

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Uhhh. . . . Maybe Not Yet, Per Jayski:

•Penske still courting Keseloski? Reports surfaced last week in Bristol that Brad Keselowski was set to replace #12-David Stremme in the three-car Penske Racing Sprint Cup stable next year. ESPN reported on its race telecast Stremme was informing people in the garage area he was out of the ride and looking for employment next season. However Stremme insists he never made those statements and that no one from the network bothered to ask him directly about his future. Stremme told Sirius NASCAR Radio's The Morning Drive he "feels good about his future and will discuss his plans when the time allows." Keselowski and his current Sprint Cup and Nationwide team owners Rick Hendrick and Dale Earnhardt Jr. have also declined to comment on what lies ahead for the Michigan driver.(CBS Sports) for earlier information on Keselowski replacing Stremme, see my #12 team page(8-27-2009) Comment here

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Not necessarily... The Hendrick stable is filled up, and for whatever reason he couldn't get a Stewart-Haas ride, which surprised me.

As for Hendrick being a great judge of talent, who wants to bring a Jr. discussion up?:D

I think that wad one of two things with Stewart-hass. Either they couldn't get sponsorship or Stewart was smart and didn't want to expand too fast and risk performance of the 14 & 39.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
He's certainly leaving Jr. Motorsports... Per Jayski

Keselowski says he won't return to JR Motorsports: Brad Keselowski declined to comment on reports he'll drive in the Sprint Cup Series for Penske Racing next year, but he did indicate Thursday to Sporting News he won't be back in JR Motorsports' Nationwide car next season. Asked whether he expected to return to JRM, Keselowski said, "At this time, no," during a boat tour of the Old Port in Montreal. Kelly Bires reportedly is the leading candidate to replace Keselowski in the #88 JRM Chevy. "I heard that, too," Keselowski said when asked about the possibility of Bires driving for JRM. "It's hard to tell. I know they've talked to a number of drivers, and I wish them the best on whoever gets in there, and I expect big things from them, as I'm sure the team does. "I look forward to seeing somebody get the opportunity that I got." Keselowski's departure from JRM lends credence to reports, which surfaced last week at Bristol, that he'll join Penske Racing [with the #12 team]. Team co-owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. has said if Keselowski were to drive a car make other than Chevy in the Cup Series, that would preclude him for driving for JRM's Nationwide program.(Sporting News/NASCAR.com)(8-27-2009) Comment here