Serious Change of Plans for SIRIUS Launch

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Serious Change of Plans for SIRIUS Launch

Sirius Change in plans for the SIRIUS FM-5 satellite is now scheduled for July 1 at 1:10 am from the Baikonur Cosmodrome. The SIRIUS FM-5 satellite will supplement the existing fleet of SIRIUS satellites with a high-power geostationary satellite that enhances the listening experience. The Proton launch vehicle, utilizing a 5-burn Breeze M mission design, will lift off from Pad 39 at Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, with the SIRIUS FM-5 satellite on board. The first three stages of the Proton will use a standard ascent profile to place the ascent unit (Breeze M upper stage and the SIRIUS FM-5 satellite) into a sub-orbital trajectory. From this point in the mission, the Breeze M will perform planned mission maneuvers to advance the ascent unit first to a circular parking orbit, then to an intermediate orbit, followed by a transfer orbit and finally to a geo-transfer orbit. Separation of the SIRIUS FM-5 satellite is scheduled to occur approximately 9 hours, 14 minutes after liftoff.

Serious Change of Plans for SIRIUS Launch : Satnews Publishers

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Will us as end users notice anything different after this bird is in the air?

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
Will us as end users notice anything different after this bird is in the air?

Won't be immediate; they'll let us know when it's operational. If you have your home antenna on a north facing window sill when this is all complete, you'll probably reduce dropouts by facing it south, or toward your opposite coast, east or west. New home users will be able to seek out and settle on the highest available signal strength. They won't have to know to choose a longer angle for a weaker signal that is more consistent through the day.

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Geostationary humm? ...that figures, they would wait till right after I drop em.
Anyone privy to what orbital slot is it supposed to reside in?
Lower angle, southern reception would be a real help in the trees out west.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I can't wait for this. It will help people so much get better reception in the home without having to go thru further lengths like an Outdoor Mounted Antenna outside. Woo Hoo.

I am hoping that they do supliment and not replace the existing SATs. I need those northern sats for my signal regardless of its variability.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Do a lot of people really use satellite for home reception? The internet feed is so much better sounding, I'd never consider satellite.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I like listening to recorded programs later on my SL2. Recording it as a block on an MP3 removes the skip ability from said recording greatly decreasing its value.

You can split MP3s. You can also fast forward. I just can't tolerate the signal quality of the satellite for music. The compression is outrageous.