Semipenguin with the hookup

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
That's really cool.. Have a super duper time there with your son Cas, it is an experience you will never forget.. Don't forget to take lots of pictures.. :)

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
So me and Casual Jr. went to the race. I had been warned about race-day traffic but there was none, because apparently everyone arrives Friday and camps all weekend. We pulled in about half an hour before the official start and parked in one of the free lots, which was quite possibly located in Canada given the walk to the track. It was so far anyway that the locals had made a secret path through the woods to cut off some of the distance. After leaving the woods, we walked through a vast sea of RVs and campers. One of them had a booth set up out front that said "Free Penis Coladas (women only!)."

Then we entered the wrong gate, have to exit with stamps on our hands, walk another half mile or so, enter the correct gate, and find our seats. After a small eternity of yammering from various officials and an opening prayer that left no doubt we were in the Bible Belt, they started their engines--a noise that would have made Pete Townshend say "that's fucking loud." Martinsville, being the shortest track on the NASCAR circuit, is known for "trading paint," which in practical terms means the first 100 laps are run under caution until they thin the field enough through wrecks to allow for some actual racing.

Still, it was fun, fast and impressive. It was cool being in the same stadium as Jeff Gordon and all those other guys you see on ESPN. The acceleration of the cars is insane. They've gotta be pulling a couple G's just coming out of the turns.

It's something everyone should see once. I couldn't go every week or anything, but I appreciate our good bud semipenguin hooking me up, and my son really enjoyed it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You should have joined us and had a Penis Colada. Maybe next time.

I could pass on that. Not a fan of fruity cocktails.

I thought it was a law that you had to drink beer out of a can at those things.

My aunt and uncle live pretty close to MIS. I keep thinking I should go up there for a race one of these days just to check out the scene. My cousin and his friends have an old school bus/party bus that they take (I believe) to the infield. It sounds like one hell of a party.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
That is great that you had a fun time Cas..... It is a great experience going to a race....

P.S - Did you cetch Vickers (car #83) sneaking out anywhere after the race? lol That dude had to of b-lined it for the gates after what he did all day.. :)

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
I made my first trip to Martinsville and had a blast. Stayed up near Roanoke, and it took me an hour & half to get to the track and parked. I didn't hang out after the checkers, headed to the car and by 6 was rolling. Can't wait to go back next year.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Glad to hear that you are your son had a great time at the racetrack!

Last edited:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I made my first trip to Martinsville and had a blast. Stayed up near Roanoke, and it took me an hour & half to get to the track and parked. I didn't hang out after the checkers, headed to the car and by 6 was rolling. Can't wait to go back next year.

You were in "Casual Fan Country." We stayed for about 150 laps. Had to get the kindergartener back home for dinner (school night).

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
We stay @ the Salthouse Branch Park about 30 minutes from the track. My wife and I got to the Martinsville parking lot @ 7:00am and parked just above the souvenir haulers. Tailgated all morning and entered the track about 30 minutes before the race. Saw many with the Halloween spirit wearing their costumes. Our seats are in the south terrace @ the end of the front straight with a great view one row from the top. By far the best race I've seen @ Martinsville in years. Lot's of action right from the beginning. Cool to see Tony get the victory over Johnson. We stayed in our seats until about a half hour after the checkered and then headed back to our parking spot to cook dinner. Watched all of the people in a hurry sit there waiting for their turn for their vehicle to move. Thank God for those of you that fight that good fight to get out of the parking lot so fast. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be able to sit there and enjoy a good dinner and drive right out of the lot an hour or so later. :bigthumbup: We were back @ our campsite by 8:30 having enjoyed a great day @ Martinsville.

For those of you that didn't go..... Save up those $'s for one of those $65 tickets and go enjoy some great short track racing. You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: semipenguin