Secret Aerodynamic Daytona/Talladega Tests

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
NASCAR officials, in response to Carl Edwards' flip at Daytona, are now studying that slight aerodynamic rear spoiler change suggested by Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson, according to one top Sprint Cup team manager privy to the technical debate.

In fact that change might have been tested at Daytona within the past few days, during the 10-team Goodyear tire test for the tour's next restrictor plate race, at Daytona July 4th.

Story here.....

Slight aerodynamic changes may be in the works for Talladega and Daytona | MikeMulhern.net

Bagman

Oct 15, 2008
The ATL
There is absolutely NO truth to this... I asked the powers that be about this and this is TOTALLY incorrect.

NASCAR officials, in response to Carl Edwards' flip at Daytona, are now studying that slight aerodynamic rear spoiler change suggested by Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson, according to one top Sprint Cup team manager privy to the technical debate.

In fact that change might have been tested at Daytona within the past few days, during the 10-team Goodyear tire test for the tour's next restrictor plate race, at Daytona July 4th.

Story here.....

Slight aerodynamic changes may be in the works for Talladega and Daytona | MikeMulhern.net

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I share the late David Poole's impression of Mulhern's reporting:p I guess they were friends..but, DP gave him a rough way to go on accuracy and "inventiveness"

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder why would Nascar conduct "secret" tests? Wouldnt they want to make it public if they were trying something to help improve the car?

It smells like someone dropped a bomb on Mulhern to see if Mulhern would bite.

"There is absolutely NO truth to this... I asked the powers that be about this and this is TOTALLY incorrect."

But then it wouldnt be the first time Nascar has lied and covered something up would it?

zevious

Oct 12, 2008
No offense to these drivers, but why would NASCAR use the advice of Gordon or Johnson to determine an aerodynamic change? These guys are drivers, not engineers. How the hell would they know how to fix an issue such as this?

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
No offense to these drivers, but why would NASCAR use the advice of Gordon or Johnson to determine an aerodynamic change? These guys are drivers, not engineers. How the hell would they know how to fix an issue such as this?

Yes they are drivers, but they no a hell of alot more than you and I do about any of this...

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion

tell that to newman who HAS a vehicle structual engineering degree from purdue university.

Last edited:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
It's not the cars. The track if flawed. If they straightened out the front stretch, the cars wouldn't go into the fence if they get airborne...:shock:

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Carl's car wouldn't have gone into the fence if Newman's car wasn't where it was..... It was coming back down right before it hit Newman's car.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
It's not the cars. The track if flawed.

Bingo. But since they're not going to change it they should move the start/finish line.

Last edited by a moderator:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Bingo. But since they're not going to change it they should move the start/finish line.

That's another thing. I know why Bill France wanted to put the Start/Finish line just before turn one, but I think this also had something to do with it.

My last e-mail to TMD, about an hour before David Poole died...:worried:

Duane Vasquez to themorningdrive

Apr 28

Has anyone brought up the flaw of the front stretch?

The tri-oval front stretch make is easy for someone to get airborne and go straight into the fence. The D-shape ovals at Michigan and California make it a lot harder to go into the fence.

I agree with Mr. Poole. They need to fix the track. That front stretch has got to go.

Thank you for your time :)
Duane Vasquez
Joplin, MO