SEC Network

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I'm loving this, of course, as an SEC fan. But you kinda wonder if this will be too much coverage. Even Tennessee vs. Western Kentucky :icon_eek: will be available in 66 million homes!

SEC Launches Syndicated SEC Network With ESPN - washingtonpost.com

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Southeastern Conference football and basketball games not shown on ESPN networks will be available in more than 54 million homes on the SEC Network, the new name for the league's syndication deal with ESPN.
The package is part of the 15-year contract reached last year between the conference and ESPN.

ESPN TV deal will push SEC even further beyond Big Ten, others - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

This fall, the conference that's captured the past three national championships will begin an unprecedented assault on our nation's television sets. The 2009 season marks the beginning of a new 15-year, $2.25 billion contract with ESPN, which coincides with a 15-year, $825 million deal with CBS. At the SEC's preseason Media Days in Hoover, Ala., this week, league and ESPN officials unveiled the details of their new arrangement, and this much is clear: Whether you're in Alabama or Arizona, Michigan or Mississippi, you're about experience a deluge of SEC football.

At a time when most schools and conferences are slashing budgets due to the poor economy, SEC programs suddenly have more resources at their disposal.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The 2009 season marks the beginning of a new 15-year, $2.25 billion contract with ESPN, which coincides with a 15-year, $825 million deal with CBS.

Amazing, isn't it? I've always been against compensating student athletes, but it's figures like these that are starting to make me change my mind...

By the way, you make a little fun of Western Kentucky there, but let's not forget Tennessee lost to a 4-win WYOMING team at home last season. Don't underestimate those Hilltoppers!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I bet Arkansas is happy they came to the SEC after the SWC fell apart :right:

When was the last time the Razorbacks won a National Championship? :scratch:

Oh well. The south has proven they don't need Pro Football with the SEC around. Bring on a playoff system! :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I bet Arkansas is happy they came to the SEC after the SWC fell apart :right:

I think Arkansas should move to the Big XII.

Then move Iowa State to the Big Ten...they'd make more sense in that conference anyway, plus they'd then have 12 teams and could have a conference championship game.

Then move someone like Florida State, maybe Clemson to the SEC to replace Arkansas. ACC can then have its pick of a team from the Big East or Conference USA.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Arkansas has been a good addition to the SEC, but we still think of them, after 18 years, as the new person in town. I have a feeling most Razorback fans would rather play Texas and Oklahoma, etc. every year than the SEC teams. That's where their traditional rivalries are.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Where is the Big 12 Channel? I want my Big 12 TV!

Give them time. I'm sure they will have one. They deserve a network of their own. I was shocked the SEC didn't go with their own network. They have everything going for them and they could have kept all the money. They get a lot of cash from ESPN but with their own network it would have been all theirs. I would pay extra to Directv to get the SEC network and the Big 12 network. I think someday the SEC will go out on their own.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
7 minutes long, but worth it if you're interested in seeing how a well-funded program operates!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWagEGQvEE]YouTube - LSU Cribs - 2009[/ame]