Seattle P-I may go under if they can't find new owner

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by kingchuck69, Jan 11, 2009.

1. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

Bloomberg.com: U.S.

--

It doesn't quite surprise me since newspapers are getting more and more expensive to publish and fewer and fewer people are reading them since the internet's taken over.

Let's see here... Tribune recently filed Ch. 11, The Detroit papers no longer deliver to homes during the week, my local paper, The Grand Rapids Press is down to just two sections during the week, The New York Times is over a billion dollars in debt...

The fun never ends.

2. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

I think with the lower Dollar, look for Canada to come in & buy the U.S....:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

We're coming for you... And we'll bring GOOD beer with us! :drink:

4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

This is the same issue most of the newspaper industry faces. Higher publishing costs along with lower readership. More people have become used to getting their daily news fix from the web or TV. Nobody has yet to find an effective way to monetize web based news content with any sort of scale. Plus, by the time you get the newspaper, the information is relatively stale.

5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The big newspaper killers are Craig's list & eBay. Classifieds were a big chunk of income for newspapers, but now most folks don't ever bother with them.

6. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

Newspapers were in trouble long before the recession, for many of the reasons already said.

I still prefer to read a print magazine, although I can read the newspaper online just fine.

7. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

Denver's Rocky Mountain News is in the same boat. Owners are looking to sell, but who in their right mind wants to buy a newspaper, especially in a "2-paper" town. The more realistic option is for them to shut it down.

It's a shame; the Rocky started publishing out of the first 2 story building in Denver (the first floor was a saloon!) about 6 months after Denver was founded.

8. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I a lot of cities, several newspapers are consolidating back office, sales, and printing operations while maintaining separate newsrooms. I think that just postpones the inevitable demise of one or more of the newspapers.

Big city newspapers are really in a world of hurt. I think there is still opportunity for really local papers where you can find out what's going on with local issues and sports, etc.

But in all cases, the future (and now) is the web. These publishers need to find a way to monetize electronic distribution of their content or they are done. Banner ads and pop ups are not going to cut it.

9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to say it, time marches on. I get local news from the Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post websites but that's about it. I quit getting the paper years ago, and barely get any magazines in the mail, save for Men's Health which is still more useful in print than it is online.

10. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I hear you. But here's the rub...say the Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post started charging $5.00 or $10.00 a month to access their web sites. Would you pay it? Most people wouldn't, which is why I think these guys are in trouble.

11. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

You're probably correct. Being that there are other places online to get news, and most major tv stations stream their local news online anyway.

12. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Member

semipenguin likes this.
  13. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I honestly hadn't read a physical newspaper in about 10 years. But I picked up the last edition today. Sad to see it go, I never liked the Post.