Saw GI JOE: The Rise of the Cobra (no spoilers)

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Got to see this today and while my expectations were really low from all of the negative internet buzz, I would say that this movie was way better than I expected. Being 32 and having played with GI Joe as a kid and watched the cartoon, I must say that this was a pretty true and loyal telling with a TON of action. What I liked about this movie is that it seemed to really know what it was. A summer blockbuster type loaded with cool action sequences (good action sequences, NOT action like Transformers 2) good flashback scenes for all of the characters so we get their background and also this is just a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Call me a sucker for Hollywood action but as a former fan of GI Joe and also having taken a 6 year old boy that loved it, I really liked this movie. The action was great, the chicks were hot and the weapons were really cool.

Don't go in expecting an OSCAR movie or a serious drama and you'll be fine.

All in all, it was far better than I expected and just a really fun movie to go see.

Plus, they did a great job with SNAKE EYES.

Last edited:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I've heard nothing but good things about it... I'm looking forward to the DVD release.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I've only seen the coming attractions for it, but my review is just a slight amending of the title....

CGI Joe

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Im torn, id go see it if it was in 3D for sure. -but with no 3D, I might just wait for the DVD so I can watch it a home.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I'll have to see it just for the Snakeeyes vs. Storm Shadow scenes that they included in the commercial. I've been waiting since I was 7 to see that...

;)

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I'll have to see it just for the Snakeeyes vs. Storm Shadow scenes that they included in the commercial. I've been waiting since I was 7 to see that...

;)

Bro, they don't disappoint.

Snake Eyes vs. Storm Shadow was super cool. Honeslty, if they just decided to make a SNAKE EYES movie, I would go see it. One of the coolest characters from our childhood.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I saw it at the theater last night and was digging it with all the action. The theater I was at also cranked the volume more than they usually do, and it really made a difference with the movie. And I have to agree, even though he didn't speak, Snake Eyes was the best character, and the Paris sequence has to be one of the best action scenes in recent memory.:bigthumbup:

I however was not digging the big fat guy kicking the back of my seat, but so goes the perils of a theater.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was one of the coolest subplots in mid-80's comics. Any mention of the Hard Master or the Soft Master?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was one of the coolest subplots in mid-80's comics. Any mention of the Hard Master or the Soft Master?

Not that I can recall, no. I watched the cartoon pretty frequently but I don't remember that. That must have been a comic book reference.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Maybe the big blockbuster for next summer can be "GI Joe Meets Transformers". I remember that comic book series from when I was like 12 or so. I think I may still even have them laying around in a box somewhere.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
I am not going to bother with it, after having 3 different friends go see it at 3 different times and all walk out on it, not going to waste my money on it.... Heard too many bad things to care.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Let us know what you think.

Ehh...... :(

I dunno. This could have had any name on it and been the same movie. What set it apart as "G.I. Joe" besides the names of the characters?

It was just ok to me.