Saturday Night Safety Dance Song ID Request

IndigoEyes

Dec 27, 2009
I consider myself very knowledgeable of 80s and 90s electronic music but this one has me stumped. I hear it nearly every week on Saturday Night Safety Dance but of course you not do get the song ID either from the DJ, or the radio display.

The only lyrics I can distinguish are from the chorus:

"You gave the Gun, by MY hands were tied".

Male Vocals, the synth arrangements kind remind me of New Order "Everything's Gone Green", but the band is definitlely not New Order. Lots of synth layering.

I've done Google searches but have found no matches on the lyrics - my guess is it was a one "hit" wonder....as much as the song could have been considered a "hit". Pretty obscure.

I hear it specifically at 12:01 AM CST on 12/26. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
There was a big argument about this before.

They really should mention the titles or have them on the PTD for a bit.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
There was a big argument about this before.

They really should mention the titles or have them on the PTD for a bit.

Good point. Dogstarradio won't even pick it up if it's not on the PDT.

Welcome to DRC, IndigoEyes!

IndigoEyes

Dec 27, 2009
Good point. Dogstarradio won't even pick it up if it's not on the PDT.

Welcome to DRC, IndigoEyes!

Thank you!

I did read another thread on this board asking for a song ID. I actually emailed Larry the Duck a couple of months ago to see if he could tap DJ Bueller for the song, but I did not get a reply.

Reactions: Aaron

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
man, a few more lyrics would really help. I'm usually pretty good with the obscure references. If you can come up with some more, or even better, manage to record it (or a part of it) we may have some better luck. I tend to obsess over this kind of trivia.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The only thing I found remotely close to the lyrics was "be my enemy" by The Waterboys.

I found that and a reference to a Pixies tune, but couldn't a similar line in one of their actual songs. There were a few references to more current songs, but nothing that was old enough to be on the Safety Dance.

IndigoEyes

Dec 27, 2009
man, a few more lyrics would really help. I'm usually pretty good with the obscure references. If you can come up with some more, or even better, manage to record it (or a part of it) we may have some better luck. I tend to obsess over this kind of trivia.

The lyrics were pretty tough to understand. I had a hard time telling if the guy had an English accent or not. It definitely was not Frank Black/The Pixies...I'm not familiar with the Waterboys - i'll look into that one mentioned.

One other lyric though I remember at the beginning of the song was something pretty close to "You took away my freedom".

I know not much to go on! I'm a 'connoussieur' of synthpop/electronic music, but this one has had me stumped for a while. I have a bad feeling it's going to be one of those little circulated songs for which I won't find an mp3 or maybe not even the 12".

One obscure song I do enjoy hearing them play that I thought I'd never hear outside of my collection is Seven Red Seven "Thinking of You" - are you familiar with that one?

IndigoEyes

Dec 27, 2009
The only thing I found remotely close to the lyrics was "be my enemy" by The Waterboys.

OK I looked up this song and it does have these lyrics, albeit fragmented and in different parts of the song. They didn't have the mp3 available for listen on amazon, but after reading up on the Waterboys style and sound, it seems highly unlikely that it could be this song :( Thanks for trying anyway!

This song in question is on the very edge of the synthpop/industrial genres (industrial in the style of the vocals, not necessarily the synth arrangements).

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The lyrics were pretty tough to understand. I had a hard time telling if the guy had an English accent or not. It definitely was not Frank Black/The Pixies...I'm not familiar with the Waterboys - i'll look into that one mentioned.

One other lyric though I remember at the beginning of the song was something pretty close to "You took away my freedom".

I know not much to go on! I'm a 'connoussieur' of synthpop/electronic music, but this one has had me stumped for a while. I have a bad feeling it's going to be one of those little circulated songs for which I won't find an mp3 or maybe not even the 12".

One obscure song I do enjoy hearing them play that I thought I'd never hear outside of my collection is Seven Red Seven "Thinking of You" - are you familiar with that one?

I had to look up Seven Red Seven. I wish I would have discovered them back in the day. Kinda cool. I would have picked it up.

I did find this one from 94. It's pretty large.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euFuoGYbGzE]YouTube - Seven Red Seven - Bass State Coma (Cerebral Dub)[/ame]

The Bass State Coma cd is going for $100 on Amazon. I'd pick that one up today if it were a better price. Theres a cool version of Superstition on there.

Weldome to the DRC

IndigoEyes

Dec 27, 2009
I had to look up Seven Red Seven. I wish I would have discovered them back in the day. Kinda cool. I would have picked it up.

I did find this one from 94. It's pretty large.
YouTube - Seven Red Seven - Bass State Coma (Cerebral Dub)

The Bass State Coma cd is going for $100 on Amazon. I'd pick that one up today if it were a better price. Theres a cool version of Superstition on there.

Weldome to the DRC

Their best CD to get is called "Shelter" and was in very limited print. I got mine on Ebay a few yrs back. See if you can find it. Here is the one I had mentioned they play on SNSD.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vU5IeP3IZeI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vU5IeP3IZeI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Doesn't anyone have that iPhone app that can recognize a song just by putting the phone next to the radio?

IndigoEyes

Dec 27, 2009
UPDATE - I FOUND IT!!!!

Finally heard it where i could write down more lyrics. It's called "The Great Divide" by Portion Control. I'm sure I had the lyrics right, though the page that helped me find it has them slightly off. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Note- I believe the version DJ Beuller plays on SNSD is the Razormaid Version, which sounds more produced than this version on YouTube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AG-Qz3N-c8]YouTube - Portion Control - The Great Divide[/ame]

PORTION CONTROL THE GREAT DIVIDE LYRICS

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
UPDATE - I FOUND IT!!!!

Finally heard it where i could write down more lyrics. It's called "The Great Divide" by Portion Control. I'm sure I had the lyrics right, though the page that helped me find it has them slightly off. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Note- I believe the version DJ Beuller plays on SNSD is the Razormaid Version, which sounds more produced than this version on YouTube:

YouTube - Portion Control - The Great Divide

PORTION CONTROL THE GREAT DIVIDE LYRICS

DOOD! How large is that?
That's a pretty cool track.
I've been wondering if you were able to find out who it was.

It would be great if SNSD would list what they were playing.

Thanks for the update, and keep on posting!