Sappy songs by good bands

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Are there songs you hate from bands you love? Songs so sappy, you change the radio station immediately; songs you wish weren't associated with that band?
My examples:

Every breath you take - Police
Miss you - Stones
Tempted - Squeeze
All of my love - Zeppelin
Babe - Styx
Brick - Ben Folds Five

Reactions: JHDK

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica (the beginning of the end)
I don't Wanna Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
That Last Date cover from Pearl Jam.
Patience - Guns & Roses
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS

There's a bunch others. On the other hand I'm of the opinion that Squeeze could do no wrong, and Tempted is one of their best. To me anyway.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I'm of the opinion that Squeeze could do no wrong, and Tempted is one of their best. To me anyway.
I was SO into Squeeze that I bought East Side Story the day it was released, and back then they didn't have pre-release tracks on the radio. In listening to the entire album, I thought Tempted was a pleasant little ditty. But it was the incessant airplay of that song, to the exclusion of everything else, that made me hate it. And it gave Squeeze the rep of being a sappy song band.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
This'll probably get the pitchforks and torches out because of this statement, but Paul McCartney made a lot of crap songs in his day. For every 'Live and Let Die' there's 'Let Him In' or 'Ebony and Ivory'. He is a legend, but even he was prone to writing cheese.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
This'll probably get the pitchforks and torches out because of this statement, but Paul McCartney made a lot of crap songs in his day. For every 'Live and Let Die' there's 'Let Him In' or 'Ebony and Ivory'. He is a legend, but even he was prone to writing cheese.
Don't forget: Coming Up (Like a Flower).

I think the beauty of the Beatles is that they balanced each other out - Paul's tendency towards pop cheesiness was balanced by George and John's eclectic rock style.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
My local classic rock station thinks 'Jack and Diane' is John Mellencamp's only song. It's in their daily rotation, even though he has much better songs like 'Lonely Ol' Night', 'Scarecrow', 'Paper and Fire' and a few others. But still 'Jack and Diane' is a regular on the playlist, and always when I happen to be listening.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
I had to find this thread just to say that Squeezebox by The Who is an instant channel changer for me. I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and deviant, but I find it so juvenile in both music and lyrics that I can't stand it.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I had to find this thread just to say that Squeezebox by The Who is an instant channel changer for me. I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and deviant, but I find it so juvenile in both music and lyrics that I can't stand it.
I think I like that song more than "You Better You Bet"

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't really have a problem with any song mentioned so far. None are my favourites but I will listen to almost all.

I do have some that turn me off from bands I otherwise like. Not all these are sappy but songs I dislike from a band I like:
Waiting For a Girl Like You -- Foreigner
Also anything from Foreigner's Agent Provocateur album
Roxanne & King of Pain from The Police
I Shot The Sheriff by Eric Clapton
That Stupid Horse with No Fucking Name - America

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Ha, I think Roxanne is awesome, but Every Breath You Take makes me want to hang myself, plus it's a song about a stalker.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Foreigner 4 was one of my first albums. Waiting for a Girl like You was one of my favorites

Mutt Lang did a fantastic job producing that album