Samsung Testing Its Craziest Smartphone Yet

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It's a $2000 flip phone.
There's got to be an end to this phone price treadmill. Every year, Samsung only offers 1 full-feature phone, and it's gone from $600 to $700 to $800, and now this. The monthly payments are just not reasonable.

I currently have the S8, which I got for $300-off at Best Buy, so I'm only paying about $350 for the phone. But my wife's S9 was discounted only $100, making it about $700, which is almost $30/mo for just the phone.

I used to get HTC phones, but lately it seems that Samsung is the flagship brand for Android. Plus it's really important to me that the phone be as compact as possible, and Samsung has the highest screen/size ratio.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Mister scotch said there has to be "an end to this phone price treadmill." I don't think the end will come any time soon. Last week, Samsung introduced a $ 1,980 folding-screen phone. Today, Huawei unveiled a folding-screen phone that will cost $2,600. This is assuming, of course, that anyone will actually buy them. Maybe a few people who are still using their 1996 Motorola StarTAC flip-phone will finally be ready to upgrade.

China's Huawei Unveils New 5G Folding-Screen Phone

Reactions: scotchandcigar

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
LG is coming out with a dual screen phone

LG's V50 ThinQ 5G will be Sprint's first 5G phone this spring

While some companies like Samsung and Huawei are preparing to launch foldable phones, LG is taking a different approach by introducing a "dual screen" accessory for the V50 ThinQ that lets you add a second screen to the phone.

The accessory attaches like a cover case and runs off of the V50 ThinQ's battery, adding a second 6.2-inch OLED display to the phone for multitasking such as having a game displayed on the phone's main display and the controller appear on the added screen.

It was not immediately clear how much the accessory will cost or if it will be coming to the U.S.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The folding screens will get much cheaper in a few years if the actually work and catch on.

Unfortunately, I think we'll be stuck with some crazy expensive flagship phones for quite some time.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
They announced the prices for the new Galaxy S10 line: $900 for the S10, $1,000 for S10+, and $750 for S10e. They seem to have carefully calculated prices that will keep people on the phone upgrade treadmill, without completely driving them away.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I can buy a lot of guns and ammo for $2k. I doubt I'll invest that much into a consumable phone.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Samsung has delayed the launch of its phone that folds in half. They're working on "enhancements." Translation: they're trying to find a way to keep the hinges from breaking and the screens from cracking. I think, along with the new flip-phone, they're also designing a new fax machine and a new Betamax videotape recorder.

Best Buy cancels pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Fold

Samsung Galaxy Fold: Best Buy cancels pre-orders - CNN