Sadchild's top 333 fav songs of all ever

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#316 Hall & Oates "You Make My Dreams"

Before I got hooked on hair bands, Hall & Oates was my favorite group. I had this one and "Kiss On My List' as 45s and played them a ton. 30-something years later, it's funny to see my son dance around, clap and sing along to this one (in a semi-joking way, but also sincerely liking the song too) and have so much fun with it like I used to.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
#320 Edie Brickell "Circle"

When I heard "What I Am", I absolutely despised the song. I would never have guessed (back when that song was all over radio and MTV) that this group could make a song I could stand, let alone love. Well, they did it - with their very next single. I love how the lyrics alternate between someone concerned with the despondency of a friend, and the friend who stopped hanging out with them. The opening/closing lines really speak to me, because I've been on both sides of this conversation.

Me, I'm a part of your circle of friends
And we notice you don't come around
And me, I think it all depends
On you touching ground with us

I've always liked their version of Dylan's 'A Hard Rain's gonna fall', thought it was slightly better than the original, although not by a lot.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I did like their "Hard Rain" cover too.

And I love her album with Steve Martin. I don't normally listen to that style but it was so good I bought it on CD. "When You Get To Asheville", "Sun's Gonna Shine" and "Love Has Come For You" are excellent!

Love_Has_Come_For_You_CD_cover_art.jpg

Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#315 Men At Work "Down Under"

Back in '83, I had very little clue about what the heck they were singing about (kombi? zombie? women glow? men chunder? vegemite?) And video was extremely goofy. But this song is another example of how great pop music was in 1983 (I know it came out in 1982, but it hit #1 in '83 - that's when I was listening to it). And I hope the guy who sued them in 2009 over the kookabura song thing chokes on a flute..... even if it's a skin flute.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008

Back in '83, I had very little clue about what the heck they were singing about (kombi? zombie? women glow? men chunder? vegemite?) And video was extremely goofy. But this song is another example of how great pop music was in 1983 (I know it came out in 1982, but it hit #1 in '83 - that's when I was listening to it). And I hope the guy who sued them in 2009 over the kookabura song thing chokes on a flute..... even if it's a skin flute.

"It's A Mistake" and "Overkill" are pretty good too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

I still have no real clue about what they are singing about. Great song.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#313 Bill Fox "How It Feels"

One of only a few songs on my list from the last 10 years or so (2016 for this one). I'm actually not a lo-fi Dylan-esque folk music fan at all, but for some reason this guy really connects with me hard. I have a half dozen of his other songs on my unnumbered (between 333 and 500) list. For a fascinating article (probably a 20 minute read) on this self-hating, fan-hating, interviewer-hating, twice-career-abandoning underground legend, read this. For the very abridged version of it, read my synopsis on the left side of this page.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#312 Alice In Chains "Would?"

One of the best grunge songs ever recorded. Featured on an amazing soundtrack - Singles - which is loaded with killer songs from Smashing Pumpkins (my introduction to that band), Paul Westerberg (two awesome songs), Mother Love Bone, Screaming Trees, Chris Cornell (an amazing acoustic track) and two of Pearl Jam's best (and not overplayed) songs of their entire catalog.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#311 Atmosphere "Guarantees"

I love when a rap steps outside of the norm. This track is more like a campfire jam mixed with elements of blues and hip hop, giving an apathetic view about the struggles of blue-collar life. When I saw these guys live, most of the audience sang the entire song back to him. At the end, he (in a funny way) said, "Oh you tryin' to take my song away from me, huh? Well, sing along to this!" and added a great new third verse. This whole album is a collection of dark poetry and stories of small victories between large failures, with a few really good surprise endings, but this song is one of two that stand above the rest.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#310 Smile "Staring At The Sun"

In the mid-90s, in the wake of Nirvana's explosive success, a bunch of heavy riff bands with moaning droning singers became a thing. I didn't get into much of it originally, but over time I grew to love a couple of those songs. Here's the first one.