Sadchild's top 333 fav songs of all ever

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#301 Cure "The Big Hand"

The first of 18 appearances on my top 333 for The Cure. This is one of six Wish b-sides - they are all amazing and all better than at least half of the album tracks. They shoulda made it a double album like Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me.... and left "Wendy Time" off of it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
#301 Cure "The Big Hand"

The first of 18 appearances on my top 333 for The Cure. This is one of six Wish b-sides - they are all amazing and all better than at least half of the album tracks. They shoulda made it a double album like Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me.... and left "Wendy Time" off of it.

The Cure must be your Bob Seger. 18 songs in top 300 is impressive.

I like their "Friday I am in Love" song. Not really familiar (I probably have heard several songs but not taken specific note) with other work. I can't view the one you posted as it has international blockers and can't be viewed outside the USA.

Reactions: sadchild

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Cure, for me, was an acquired taste. I started in 1989 with "Fascination Street", then "Lovesong". I borrowed a friend's copy of Disintegration and only liked 4 or 5 of the songs. Eventually I liked those so much, the others started growing on me. By the time Mixed Up came out in late 1990 I was a fan, digging into their past (pre-1985 is a real mixed bag of great and awful, I'll be honest!). By the time Wish came out in 1992, I was a super-fan and Disintegration was officially (and still is) my favorite album of all time, overtaking Van Halen's Fair Warning.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I wasn't much of a Cure fan before Mixed Up. Van Halen and Scorpions were still my style. I had stumbled onto Art of Noise and a few other avant-garde types that opened my ears up a bit. Once I heard the extended arrangements on Mixed Up, it was easier for me to start listening to more Cure stuff. I wasn't really familiar with The Big Hand though.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I like Steely. I had a couple of albums on cassette back in the day, but never managed to upgrade to CD or digital.
I saw them 6 or 7 years ago. They sounded good.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
#300 Steely Dan "Deacon Blues"

Not a Steely fan...... except for this one album -- of which I love every track. My dad's fault. He used to listen to it quite a bit, and this is his favorite band. A while ago, I watched an hour long video on the making of the album that was really good.

I am a huge Steely Dan fan. My favouite of their's is "Hey Nineteen". That song would be an honourable mention in my list. Deacon Blues is a good one too.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#299 Indigo Girls "The Girl With the Weight of the World In Her Hands"

Ever know somebody who makes sure you knew how bad they have it? Subtly making you notice how rough their life is constantly? I sure have. Heck, I see it on Facebook every day. This song encapsulates the situation beautifully. First of 10 Indigo Girls songs in the 333.

Maybe move to the right
Maybe move to the left
So we can all see her pain she wears
Like a banner on her chest
I wonder if alone she wants it taken from her hands
But if things didn't keep getting harder
She might miss her sacred chance to go a consecrated martyr

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
#301 Cure "The Big Hand"

The Cure is definitely an important and influential group of it's time, and I like a lot of their stuff. But to me, they're one of hundreds of bands putting out good music. They've got 3 or 4 songs that alt-radio plays the hell out of. Even the pop channels play Friday a lot.

#299 Indigo Girls "The Girl With the Weight of the World In Her Hands"

Ever know somebody who makes sure you knew how bad they have it? Subtly making you notice how rough their life is constantly? I sure have. Heck, I see it on Facebook every day. This song encapsulates the situation beautifully. First of 10 Indigo Girls songs in the 333.

Maybe move to the right
Maybe move to the left
So we can all see her pain she wears
Like a banner on her chest
I wonder if alone she wants it taken from her hands
But if things didn't keep getting harder
She might miss her sacred chance to go a consecrated martyr

They've done some good stuff. But it makes me think about all the music of that genre that I like by other artists - like Sheryl Crow, Sarah McLaughlin, Bonnie Raitt, Shawn Colvin etc. - and whether they're worth mentioning in my list. It's a conundrum.
#298 Rage Against The Machine "Take The Power Back"

This album has ten songs - seven of them are on my 500+ list. It changed me musically more than "Teen Spirit" changed the music business.

They're not on my list, but I like them. Tom Morello is awesome.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
#298 Rage Against The Machine "Take The Power Back"

This album has ten songs - seven of them are on my 500+ list. It changed me musically more than "Teen Spirit" changed the music business.

If I had a list, Rage would be at the top. They were a game-changer for me like NIN was. What a massive massive album this was for me. It dwarfed Nirvana.

Morello is great musician, and I'm even good with the activism. Some people don't seem to make it a natural fit between message and music.

If you haven't heard his One Man Revolution show on SXM, it's worth tuning in. He has his 97 year old mom on with him. She's great.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
RATM and NIN were my game-changers too, along with Red Hot Chili Peppers (pre-Give It Away/Under The Bridge), Faith No More. Plus Cure and Depeche. 1989/1990 was the big shift for me. Fits right in my with Chris Rock quote on the other thread too, actually....

As for the activism, I'm good with it too. Some of their causes are a little too radical for me, but I love that they try. A previous guitarist in my band called them hypocrites for bashing big companies but signing to Sony. I said no, if you have an important message, get on the biggest megaphone you can find.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It really is a damned catchy song.
It's a song part of me thinks I shouldn't like, but while I'm searching for the reason, I realize that it's louder than when it started and I'm singing along with it.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
In 2002, Joni Mitchell told Rolling Stone:

The only thing I heard in many years that I thought had greatness in it was the New Radicals. I loved that song ‘You Get What You Give.’ It was a big hit, and I said, ‘Where did they go?’ It turns out the guy [Gregg Alexander] quit. I thought, ‘Good for him.’ I knew he was my kind of guy.