(S50)PAC converted to MP3??

dantera

Jan 19, 2009
Anyone know where I can get a program to convert the saved music files of the S50 (PAC) to another playable file such as MP3?? My original player's button broke, and rather than fixing it myself and keeping my music, I actually believed my friend when he said that he could retrieve my music so that I could send the player back for replacement. Now my music is on his pc in a PAC file for over a year and so here I am. HeLp?>
...........and to top it off, he can't get the music file to go back onto the new player.....MP3 conversion program/file needed please.
Thanks.
DJ

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No such program, because those pac files are encrypted so unless you have the encryption key to decode them, even having a converter wouldn't work.

ovrrdrive

Oct 14, 2008
I knew a guy that said he was archiving music off of his Sl100 onto his computer but I never got around to asking what program he was using to do it. If there's a will there's a way.

If I ever see him again I'll ask.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I knew a guy that said he was archiving music off of his Sl100 onto his computer but I never got around to asking what program he was using to do it. If there's a will there's a way.

If I ever see him again I'll ask.

You can archive must at 128kp using Replay AV, I did it for a long time when I had a Sirius subscription at the 128kb streaming. It works great and sounds great. It even saves them as MP3's so you can put them on any device. Now when I say MP3's, I don't mean each song is saved as an MP3, I mean it will record so many hours of a given stream and save them as an MP3. There are programs that will spit the songs out, but I've never used them

Replay AV works GREAT !

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
The only way I've seen is to play it into a line-in jack and record. But it's realtime, not like ripping a CD.

This was one of the few features of the S50 that worked the way it was intended. The RIAA was claiming that the S50 was nothing more than a "downloading device" and sued Sirius. They agreed to a per-unit fee to allow the feature to stay, but the music is encrypted to the specific device.

Don't prove the RIAA right. The LOVE feature is supposed to be a temporary recording, not a copy for you to keep.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
..and that's why it destroys the ends of the songs with fade-ins and fade-outs.

If the DJ doesn't beat them to it...

Reminds me of recording to cassette from the radio when I was a kid. Wasn't complete but better than nothing...

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
True, you can use something like Audacity to record via Line In to your pc, but you loose quality, it takes forever, and is a nuisance. It's "cheaper" to buy the tracks on line if you can.