S2 Aquiring Signal? issue today

PWbandit

Mar 23, 2009
So CAL ~ 310
:mad:
I have had my Stiletto 2 since last June (2008). Always has worked ok, had some issues around the time of the XM merge / upgrade (lost everything). Since that issue it had been fine, so i bought my bf one this June for his birthday. He has been having device issues, losing recordings mainly - once last week, and again today. Hopefully he will find help here an resolve the issue before he returns the dam thing.

THEN today, I am at work, (downtown LA, 45th floor) listening to Area. I listen to my S2 everyday at my workstation. At 1 o'clock, i paused the device and went to lunch. About an hour later it unpaused, and was playing. I forwarded thru some songs, found a good one, and when I stopped to listed I got the message "Aquiring Signal". UH-OH! I had a recording set up for 3 o'clock (PvD - Area), so i need to get my signal back. NO bueno in bldg, so i go outside, always works outside - and still the device indicates "Aquiring Signal", regardless of channel. I did manage to get a signal, but it was weak, and lasted only a second.

I can stream music over the network, but using wi fi i cannot record. =8-(

Anyone ever experience this, or have similar issues today??

Many thanks!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Seems OK for me now.

For your bf's losing recording problem ... this is common unfortunatly for the SL2. He can reduce his issues by:

1) Doing a full shutdown and restart regularly.
2) Not touching the device during a recording.
3) Once recordings start disappearing ... do a device recovery.
4) Do a full shutdown after deleting a recording.
5) Never do a full shutdown while listening to the Library or RadioReplays
6) Turn off RadioReplays.

It won't eliminate the issue but will minimize it.

PWbandit

Mar 23, 2009
So CAL ~ 310
Seems OK for me now.

For your bf's losing recording problem ... this is common unfortunatly for the SL2. He can reduce his issues by:

1) Doing a full shutdown and restart regularly.
2) Not touching the device during a recording.
3) Once recordings start disappearing ... do a device recovery.
4) Do a full shutdown after deleting a recording.
5) Never do a full shutdown while listening to the Library or RadioReplays
6) Turn off RadioReplays.

It won't eliminate the issue but will minimize it.

Thanks! What is a full shutdown? Is it the same as using the toggle button to go to Sleep mode? I dont think i have ever turned it off any other way!

My issue is still ongoing: may be due to lengthy radio replays, scheduled recordng or who knows what! I docked my S2 and it got a signal fine. I sent it to sleep mode, removed the battery, re-install the battery. Power on with out dock: still my S2 says "Acquiring signal" - and it will have one bar , but no signal!!

I deleted the replays over 2 hours, and have only 1 scheduled recording, set for Thurs. 3:00 pm PST. My device info indicates 22% memory usage. ZAP: 2.0.5.69029r; OS: 2.0.3.54429.

:wah:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Thanks! What is a full shutdown? Is it the same as using the toggle button to go to Sleep mode? I dont think i have ever turned it off any other way!

My issue is still ongoing: may be due to lengthy radio replays, scheduled recordng or who knows what! I docked my S2 and it got a signal fine. I sent it to sleep mode, removed the battery, re-install the battery. Power on with out dock: still my S2 says "Acquiring signal" - and it will have one bar , but no signal!!

I deleted the replays over 2 hours, and have only 1 scheduled recording, set for Thurs. 3:00 pm PST. My device info indicates 22% memory usage. ZAP: 2.0.5.69029r; OS: 2.0.3.54429.

:wah:

A full shutdown is done by holding the power button off for about 5 seconds (the same button as the sleep). You should always do this before taking out the battery. Its the same analogy as shutting down your computer before pulling the plug.

My suggestions were for your BFs SL2 and his losing of recordings. Sorry for the confusion.

My SL2 shows good signal. Typically an Aquiring Signal is probably caused by:

1) Your antenna has moved or is now blocked
2) Your antenna is lose or bad. If your antenna is outside it may have had water get inside.
3) You may be dependent on a repeater which is no longer functioning.

You should go to your Antenna Aiming screen and see what signal you are getting. Do you happen to know which signal you were getting when it was working? If you were getting SAT signal, you should be able to move your antenna around until you get some SAT signal again. 1/3 to 1/2 is usually a stable enough signal to not get dropouts. If you were a repeater, this may be out of your control and you would need to call Sirius to report a repeater outage. Unfortunatly, this can be a painful process since a lot of CSRs are not too bright and won't believe you when you say it is a repeater issue.

PWbandit

Mar 23, 2009
So CAL ~ 310
A full shutdown is done by holding the power button off for about 5 seconds (the same button as the sleep). You should always do this before taking out the battery. Its the same analogy as shutting down your computer before pulling the plug.

My suggestions were for your BFs SL2 and his losing of recordings. Sorry for the confusion.

My SL2 shows good signal. Typically an Aquiring Signal is probably caused by:

1) Your antenna has moved or is now blocked
2) Your antenna is lose or bad. If your antenna is outside it may have had water get inside.
3) You may be dependent on a repeater which is no longer functioning.

You should go to your Antenna Aiming screen and see what signal you are getting. Do you happen to know which signal you were getting when it was working? If you were getting SAT signal, you should be able to move your antenna around until you get some SAT signal again. 1/3 to 1/2 is usually a stable enough signal to not get dropouts. If you were a repeater, this may be out of your control and you would need to call Sirius to report a repeater outage. Unfortunatly, this can be a painful process since a lot of CSRs are not too bright and won't believe you when you say it is a repeater issue.

No confusion, thanks again for help with bf's issues.

I know my sat signal was always pretty weak, as I am in a hi rise building downtown LA, but i have the same antennae signal strength now, as I did yesterday when I was able to hear the radio here at work - and its not working at all:mad:. I dont have a dock, or a hardwire antennae here at the office, and the SL2 has generally always worked for me when portable. The only exception is one spot on the freewway where the roadways are below street level and is also surrounded by 25 foot sound walls - i lose signal there every time.

Since i get a signal from my dock at home, but not at work (inside or outside) and not at home unless docked (inside and outside), i think it is probably not a signal repeater issue.

I am not looking forward to losing all my goods - again! Sirius needs to memorialize the issues noted, discussed and resolved to provide a real-time manual for avoiding anomalous behavior...otherwise potential for liability of manufacturing defects.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No confusion, thanks again for help with bf's issues.

I know my sat signal was always pretty weak, as I am in a hi rise building downtown LA, but i have the same antennae signal strength now, as I did yesterday when I was able to hear the radio here at work - and its not working at all:mad:. I dont have a dock, or a hardwire antennae here at the office, and the SL2 has generally always worked for me when portable. The only exception is one spot on the freewway where the roadways are below street level and is also surrounded by 25 foot sound walls - i lose signal there every time.

Since i get a signal from my dock at home, but not at work (inside or outside) and not at home unless docked (inside and outside), i think it is probably not a signal repeater issue.

I am not looking forward to losing all my goods - again! Sirius needs to memorialize the issues noted, discussed and resolved to provide a real-time manual for avoiding anomalous behavior...otherwise potential for liability of manufacturing defects.

I have never gotten a reliable signal when not connected to at least the antenna headphones. But if you are getting a good signal, you can also try a shutdown and restart to see if it corrects your issue. I know that I have triggered some corruption on occasion when I tried to pause live broadcast.