Rumor that some cars may Dump AM/FM

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
From an article in 2008:

As Detroit feels the noose around its neck, everyone says it's getting what it deserves for years of crappy cars. And it is. But you wouldn't know it by looking at the new Dodge Ram, which is replete with more tech toys than most luxury sedans. The crowning feature: the truck can serve as a mobile WiFi hotspot and link multiple computers or phones to the Internet.

Dodge's New Ram Is a WiFi Hotspot, Too? | Fast Company

So explain how the truck connects to the internet if there isn't a cellular network available for it to connect to? I could put a wireless router in the middle of the Sahara desert running off of a generator and have wifi in the middle of the desert but without a way for that router to connect to the internet, it's worthless.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It sports a 3G wireless EVDO connection to Chrysler’s UConnect mobile Internet service (see more in RAIN here) and a router that turns the truck into a 100-foot radius Internet hotspot, even while chugging down the road. That means a broadband connection (well, 400-800Kbps) to computers and any other WiFi devices in the car. And that means, of course, mobile Internet radio. UConnect is also Bluetooth-equipped, which allows phone calls via the navigation system. A UConnect susbscription is $29/month.

http://textpattern.kurthanson.com/a...-sports-mobile-wifi-and-thus-mobile-net-radio

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It sports a 3G wireless EVDO connection to Chrysler’s UConnect mobile Internet service (see more in RAIN here) and a router that turns the truck into a 100-foot radius Internet hotspot, even while chugging down the road. That means a broadband connection (well, 400-800Kbps) to computers and any other WiFi devices in the car. And that means, of course, mobile Internet radio. UConnect is also Bluetooth-equipped, which allows phone calls via the navigation system. A UConnect susbscription is $29/month.

RAIN 12/16: New Dodge pickup sports mobile WiFi (and thus, mobile Net radio!)

And this connection is available everywhere on God's green earth?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Anywhere worldwide via satellite.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
400-800kbps. Which is about standard for a DSL line, except no phone line necessary.

zevious

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think uConnect is Satellite based. If you have ever seen a Satellite Internet connection, the FCC required a specially trained tech to configure the satellite dish. (Due to the fact that you are broadcasting a signal as well as receiving.

The other give away is this "Uconnect® WiFi taps cellular and 3G platforms with patent-pending TRU technology to help maintain a continuous Web connection even as you travel between cell towers or through tunnels."

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
3G EVDO is CELLULAR. I should know I put that shit in. Then I put in 4G stuff and now I am putting in LTE equipment. This is my JOB.

Besides the fact you're trying to use a 5 year old article to defend your position. And do you know how big your dish has to be for satellite internet? Too big to carry around on the roof of a car. Satellites that run internet are also GEOSTATIONARY. You have to have line of site and there is no way a huge dish on top of a car could keep up with how much a car turns and changes elevation while in motion. Nor did I see anything in that article that mentions satellite.

Mount this on the roof of your car:

IMG_1093-300x225.jpg

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Technology has improved in 5 years time. Which makes your point even less valid. I also looked at other articles that DID mention satellite, that's called doing research.

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I've never heard or seen mobile satellite internet service even existing. From a technical standpoint, it's not feasable with today's technology.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
No way is AM/FM radio going anywhere. I mean, isn't it still a foolproof way to quickly communicate information?
That said, I can certainly see it as being an option to leave out when you order a new car. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come standard. For example, if when ordering your new car you could chose a combination of any TWO: AM/FM stereo, an Aux input, a Bluetooth receiver.... I know I would choose aux input and bluetooth receiver.
If it came to a point I really wanted AM/FM, I would go get a $10 radio from target and throw that in the Aux.

Anyway, :boozin:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Back in 2004 or 2005 I remember reading an article that XM was going to be differing both satellite television & internet.

I guess that never panned out :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital

Ya you have to set up a giant fucking dish to use it and it's exteremely expensive, like I mentioned before, you can't use that stuff while driving, you have to stop and set up. WHERE IS THE MOBILE SATELLITE INTERNET YOU CAN USE WHILE DRIVING?????????????
IT DOESN'T EXIST

blyons200

Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
You're starting to piss me off. Show me something that you can get a high speed internet connection from a satellite while driving or admit your wrong.