Rumor that some cars may Dump AM/FM

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Can we vote to drop HD Radio from cars? I can't imagine that they aren't paying licensing to put a basically useless feature in there.. :) (Hey it is still AM/FM sorta).

For the most part it's been done for us. I only have 3 total hd stations. The rest are just dead air.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
For the most part it's been done for us. I only have 3 total hd stations. The rest are just dead air.

Right. Here the only HD Radio stations are PBS. There are 5 others in the southern part of the state that are commercial. It was dead before it started.

They keep adding it to vehicles though. I can't imagine they're not paying licensing to Ibiquity for each vehicle they equip with it.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It sports a 3G wireless EVDO connection to Chrysler’s UConnect mobile Internet service (see more in RAIN here) and a router that turns the truck into a 100-foot radius Internet hotspot, even while chugging down the road. That means a broadband connection (well, 400-800Kbps) to computers and any other WiFi devices in the car. And that means, of course, mobile Internet radio. UConnect is also Bluetooth-equipped, which allows phone calls via the navigation system. A UConnect susbscription is $29/month.

RAIN 12/16: New Dodge pickup sports mobile WiFi (and thus, mobile Net radio!)

Sorry, you still don't understand how this works. From that article that you posted "It sports a 3G wireless EVDO connection to Chrysler’s UConnect mobile Internet service". It would be absolutely worthless without a 3G connection for the truck to connect to. They're probably just using someone like Sprint's network. So if you are in an area where there is not Sprint coverage then the "100 foot radius Internet hotspot" will NOT work. Go back to my example of a wifi router in the middle of the desert that's not connected to the internet. The truck hotspot will work just as well if it's in an area without 3G coverage.

No way satellite would work as an option. Can you show a credible source that says a car company is going to use a satellite option with a big dish on top of the vehicle that automatically aims itself at the satellite? That is what will be needed for satellite to work. You just can't admit that this doesn't work they way you originally thought it did.