Roku or just buy a new Smart TV??

Discussion in 'Cable & Video' started by Vargas, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

In our bedroom, we currenlty have an old school TV on top of a chest. It is linked to our Dish DVR that is NON HD.

I want to be able to have netflix in the bedroom so I'm going through a dilemma--do I get a roku or boxee box or do I just buy a new, smaller (23 inch) Smart TV. My only problem with the Smart TV is that I do not have HD in my bedroom so the smart tv that I could watch netflix on would be a bit of a waste.

On roku, does it offer you anything OTHER than just access to netflix? Is there anything else you can do with it or is it really just an internet access point for a tv?

Please let me know if you have Roku or Boxee or whatever and why it is good.

I don't mind upgrading the tv but without HD, it seems like a waste, just to occasionally watch netflix.

Any suggestions?
  2. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

3. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Doesn't Roku make a non-HD model? I remember hearing something like that.
  4. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I remember recalling that as well, but I wonder if that the original Roku units?

On the Roku website, they have Roku 2 HD, XD and XS. Roku Streaming Players | Roku 2 HD Player, Roku 2 XD Player and Roku 2 XS Player But they play or hook up to HD TV. But I believe you can still use Roku 2 HD for a non-HD TV? I went to Frys Electronics before and bought a cable wire where you can hook up RCA jacks to a HD device.
  5. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

I went to the ROKU site too and I'm guessing that even though they are all HD models, they will be backwards compatible.

I have a NETFLIX streaming subscription. I DO NOT have a hulu plus subscription. Do you need one of those for ROKU? I didn't see where it said whether or not you would.

I am really happy with my dish network (8 inches of snow yesterday and ZERO signal loss) but the on demand is a little lacking. They have the blockbuster movie pass that but that is pretty weak--a little weaker than netflix.
  6. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I don't subscribe to Netflix and Hulu or own a Roku unit. But if I recall some of the research I found, on Roku. It basically brings the internet to your TV. I know they offer over 300 channels and there is a channel for Hulu viewers/subscribers. So it like the same format for the Netflix channel.
  7. memebag

memebag Unspeakable Leakness

It's a tough call. I have "smart" TVs, "smart" Blu-ray players, and a home theater PC. I don't use the TV because it only gets Netflix, not Amazon, and I never bothered to run an audio signal from it to my amp. When I'm watching Netflix or Amazon, I use the Blu-ray player. It's much more convenient than the HTPC. But I couldn't get by without the HTPC. I download a lot of video, and it plays every codec there is. The TV can play several codecs, and auto-discovers all of my files, but it's hit or miss which ones it will play and which it won't.

So if I had to pick just one, I'd pick an HTPC. If I didn't have the cash for that (I paid a little over $300 for mine), and I just wanted the stuff on a Roku, I'd get a Blu-ray player with Netflix and Amazon. Mine costs about the same as a Roku, and it plays Blu-rays.
  8. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

Just got a roku yesterday
    It does come with standard a/v composite cable
    With Hulu plus ou have to subscribe to that
    Netflix works great withnthis the roku
    Does anyone know how to add a channel that isn't listed in the channel store?
  9. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

10. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

The channel I wanted to add doesn't show a code
    Was looking forward to watching godtv
  11. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

You can call them to see if they know (866-406-7833). I see that some have it on their Roku (via google searches which brings up twitter or facebook) but I am unable to find a code.
  12. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Awesome and thanks for the heads up.

Let me know how you like it.
  13. TSS Pete

TSS Pete New Member

I was very curious about Roku, and after reading this thread, wondering what updates you have on these devices. Does it cut out? Are all the channels pretty clear? Is NASA TV cool?
  14. memebag

memebag Unspeakable Leakness

We get Nasa TV on our cable provider (because this is Space City). It's really boring, except during a shuttle mission, and those are over.
  15. TSS Pete

TSS Pete New Member

Well that's a bummer. I'll have to check what else in on Roku.
  16. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

If you're using anything other than a computer (Mac/PC) then you'll need Hulu Plus AND you'll be limited to what's offered on Hulu+ (which is far less than Hulu free + a computer).

I strongly suggest that if you're going to cut the cord that you go with something like a Mac Mini or an equivalent for Windows (something you can plug into the TV) so you're not limited by the stupid restrictions.
  17. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

I'd like to test drive a Roku at a brick and mortar place. I read where the Roku 3 requires a special connect that's on newer TV's. I'm good with an HDMI which suits the HD and 2 XD models.

The box is suppose to access over 750 channels. I'm researching how many lesser known channels require a subscription. Since I have an XBox it could stream Netflix an/or Hulu plus to the living room set while a Roku box could team with the bedroom set, but not both at once.

Also read where a 1.5 Mbps for standard definition and 3.0 for HD is recommended. Once I pull the cable plug I want to keep a 30/2 interweb service for $42 per month and add Hulu Plus & Netflix for $8 each which is roughly half the $117 I'm paying now. ATT Max Turbo is 24/3, but I'm not sold on broadband.