Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Who is Next?

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Now that many of the 'pioneers' are in the hall (including Run-DMC for rap & Metallica for metal), who will be inducted for the next few years? Looking at bands with their first release 25 years ago, this would start in 1985 next year. Who is considered "hall worthy" now that many classic artists are in? I could see Nirvana, since they helped start the grunge movement, but their longevity isn't there. Could someone like a Dave Matthews make it in at some point? Linkin Park if their next few releases sell as well as their past three?

Metallica did a good job with their performance after induction. Had a good drive using both base players. Master of Puppets was a good choice for their first selection, since it embodies most of what Metallica is made of, including the dual-lead guitar break.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
When is that ceremony going to air on TV? I try to watch it every year.

You're right... less great artists emerged after the mid-1980's that seem Hall worthy. Nirvana, for sure. I hate to say it, but I could see them putting in Pearl Jam and Bon Jovi. Not my choices exactly, but their standards aren't always easy to figure out. Why are John Mellencamp & Bonnie Raitt in, but not Yes & Genesis?

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
When is that ceremony going to air on TV? I try to watch it every year.

You're right... less great artists emerged after the mid-1980's that seem Hall worthy. Nirvana, for sure. I hate to say it, but I could see them putting in Pearl Jam and Bon Jovi. Not my choices exactly, but their standards aren't always easy to figure out. Why are John Mellencamp & Bonnie Raitt in, but not Yes & Genesis?

They aired it on the FUSE network, close to live. Don't know if they will air it again. This was the first year in a long time that it was held in Cleveland, and the first time where tickets were available for the general public. Finale was 'train kept a rollin' with Metallica + Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Joe Perry, Ron Wood, Flea & others.

Genesis should be a no-brainer. Seems like those who vote aren't real interested in progressive rock. One of the Metallica guys (Lars, I believe) mentioned a few that should be in during his acceptance: Rush, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden.

Kevin2500

Nov 12, 2008
clinton ohio
The people that should be in it is

kiss
bruce springsteen and the e street band
iron maiden
rush
judas priest

It should not be even called the rock n roll hall of fame it really should be called the hall of fame of music.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I'll use this opportunity to post what I said on another website about the Hall of Fame:

Actually, the whole concept of a "hall of fame" for rock and roll is weird. Sarah Vowell mentioned this in one of her books where she said, "Considering that the whole reason I thought we liked rock and roll in the first place is that the best of it is anti-museum, anti-institution, anti-walls, meaning ethereal, loud and unfettered, I find the whole idea ridiculous." She also says that "Rock's greatest moments, from 'Blue Suede Shoes' to 'Anarchy in the UK', were the very opposite of legit-spit on, censored, despised by the powers that be." That's why I thought it was cool when the Sex Pistols refused to show up for their induction ceremony, calling the museum a "piss stain".

Reactions: IronJabroni

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Actually, the whole concept of a "hall of fame" for rock and roll is weird. Sarah Vowell mentioned this in one of her books where she said, "Considering that the whole reason I thought we liked rock and roll in the first place is that the best of it is anti-museum, anti-institution, anti-walls, meaning ethereal, loud and unfettered, I find the whole idea ridiculous." She also says that "Rock's greatest moments, from 'Blue Suede Shoes' to 'Anarchy in the UK', were the very opposite of legit-spit on, censored, despised by the powers that be." That's why I thought it was cool when the Sex Pistols refused to show up for their induction ceremony, calling the museum a "piss stain".

I agree. But why not give the pioneers and the grounbreakers their due. If they don't want to participate, they can elect not to do so (in a very rock and roll way). I live near the rock hall, but barely visit - only when folks are in town who want to visit. The history part of the induction / hall is interesting to hear the stories from the ensrined about their roots. Many start from the 50s with Elvis and Motown performers (i.e. the Stones first #1 was written by Bobby Womack, and was thrown on to the release late in the recording process).