Rock 'n Roll HOF announces nominees

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Janet Jackson .... Rock N Roll?
Face it: it's just pop. The rock acts that make it into there are mostly popular acts, who got airplay on mainstream popular music stations. The term "rock and roll" is meaningless, as it pertains to these awards. Rap, jazz, folk, hip-hop, electronica, blues, and country have all gotten in, if they're popular.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Generally, this list isn't too bad. Roxy and Radiohead could both wait a little longer to make it in though.
Even so - still dead to me.

Iron Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Ronnie James Dio, The Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, Jethro Tull, and Bad Co should all have gotten in a long time ago.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
So is the ceremony taking place soon, and then broadcast later?

Oh, and BTW, Suzanna Hoffs (hubba hubba).
I was going to try to make fun of you for hubbaing a 60 year old woman, but I looked for some recent photos of her and decided against it.

Are 60 year olds really getting hotter or is this just a side effecto of me getting older?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
HBO usually shows it.
The concert part is fun, and the induction part isn't too bad since it isn't all drawn out like an awards show.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
HBO usually shows it.
The concert part is fun, and the induction part isn't too bad since it isn't all drawn out like an awards show.
I watched the telecast on HBO this weekend, and for what it's worth, here's my summary.

It opened with Stevie Nicks performing a surprisingly strong set of songs. She sounded good; I think she was using a little auto-tune, but it was subtle (not like Sting or Art Garfunkel). She also did several of her duet songs, with Don Henley making a surprise appearance (and he sounded good too), and Harry Styles substituting for Tom Petty. Not my 1st choice, but he was okay. He inducted her afterwards, so that's why he was there. Oddly, Sheryl Crow was in the crowd - I thought she'd do the induction.

Believe it or not, Nicks is the 1st female to be inducted twice, and she made that known during her speech.

Next to be inducted was Radiohead. They played a retrospective video, including commentary from Thom Yorke, but (of course) most of the band didn't show up. It was just one guitarist and the drummer, who were both appreciative. No live performances. Apparently, most of them feel the same as Hectic about the RRHOF.

The Cure was inducted by Trent Reznor, which was pretty cool. After a video was played, the band did several songs, and they sounded good. Robert Smith looked as weird as you'd expect.

I sensed an odd vibe for Janet Jackson's induction. They played a video, which (to me) reinforced how dated and out of vogue her music seems today. She was inducted by Janelle Monae, and then Janet made the standard acceptance speech, talking about her great family, and I was thinking yeah, okay. No performances.

The Zombies had a video, then an induction by Susanna Hoffs, then they performed live. As much as I like looking at Hoffs, she's 60, and she had this "don't I look great for 60" attitude. I also felt there were many big name contemporaries of the Zombies who'd be more appropriate to induct them. Anyway, they performed well for being old guys. It's just odd that they're being inducted alongside bands from the 90s.

Roxy Music was somewhat popular in the US in the 70s, but much bigger in Europe. And frankly, Brian Ferry's solo career was not only more successful in the US, but more recent. Two members of Duran Duran inducted them, and then Roxy played a decent live set.

Then there was Def Leppard, inducted by Brian May. Personally, I don't think they're HOF worthy, and it seemed like May was being polite, but that's just my opinion. They have their hits, and they did a strong live performance. The lead guitarist is still ripped for a middle-aged guy.

It wrapped up with Ian Hunter joining all the performers for All the Young Dudes, which ironically was written by none of the people on-stage. And that's the way it was.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The Mrs watched it Saturday and said it was decent. They skipped the jam at the end the last couple of years which is disappointing. At least they did it this year.

Radiohead. Smart guys.

Reactions: semipenguin

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Just realized I forgot an important detail. While most of Radiohead didn't show up, David Byrne did show up to induct them. It was a bit strange seeing him in that role, but it was still neat.

He also mentioned that Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song. I need to look into that.

Reactions: HecticArt