Road to Xenforo

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Hi -

Sometime across this week (could be as early as tonight), we'll be moving to Xenforo, away from vBulletin.

The focus will be to improve reliability and speed. Based on feedback from those who have access to our Dev site, Xenforo delivers on both.

The vB 3.8 product we use currently has been basically 'dead' for a long while and vB users seem quite disappointed with vB 4 and (especially) 5. For this reason, we're going another direction.

We'll be bringing over all of the users/passwords, forums, posts, security/access levels, etc.

However, some things we can't bring, which are some (very old) plugins and, more specifically, our themes. For this reason, we'll be putting in a temporary theme, and we'll figure out a more permanent theme after the fact.

But I'll need your help. If you run into any problems, or any features missing that you think will benefit the DRC users, we definitely want to know.

The site will be down during this migration, and, more importantly, we'll be backing up the old site and retaining it, just in case we need it for reference (or this goes horribly horribly wrong :)). Also, the old Sirius Backstage system will continue to be on vB, at least for the foreseeable future.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Thanks.. Trying to get this done tonight if all goes well.. We'll see how I'm feeling around 11 or so.

Some things are likely to be messed up/broken, but we'll move forward to fix bugs as we go. The 'core' of the forums should work just fine. It'll just be stupid plugin features and things like that.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
Never heard of this Xenforo...must be new.

Just make sure you have a dark theme!! :D :p

Jon

Dec 16, 2008

Sounds like something off Battlestar Galactica or something.

Nice! Hope it goes smoothly and improves the experience.

And brings more users. (although keeping certain threads on topic will help that too).

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA

At some point, but not to start. If you want to look around and suggest a theme, feel free.

Xenforo is from the vBulletin guys before they were bought out by Internet Brands and it was (arguably) ruined, is my understanding, but it is an entirely new product.

XenForo - Compelling Community Forum Software

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
A lot of it will be similar, but others of it we'll have to make up as we go along.. Banner ads and that sorta thing will be a future thing for sure. I don't think they're very high yield for TSS anyway.

The initial theme will be bright and pleasant. If you're unhappy about that, it's someone else's fault.. Hah.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
By the way, you guys can see the dev site, which is based on a slightly older version of Xenforo and a 2 month+ old snapshot of the vB database over at http://dev.digitalradiocentral.com .. The initial id/pass is drcdev for both.

Just be aware that A> This main site probably going down around 11 or midnight, give or take and B> anything you do over there won't move over to the new site.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
By the way, you guys can see the dev site, which is based on a slightly older version of Xenforo and a 2 month+ old snapshot of the vB database over at http://dev.digitalradiocentral.com .. The initial id/pass is drcdev for both.

Just be aware that A> This main site probably going down around 11 or midnight, give or take and B> anything you do over there won't move over to the new site.

:bigclap::agree::bigthumbup: