Ritz Camera closing half its stores TODAY

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
It don't surprise me one bit that Ritz is closing.

I was at Rivertown Crossings Mall here in GR today and the Ritz there - despite being in one of the largest malls in the state - is going away. According to the sign in front of the door, it's because digital technology has taken over the photo market.

Oh, and they tell their customers to check out the nearest open Ritz store... In Saginaw, way across the state :shock:

With the way the picture market is nowadays, why would anybody DEVELOP pictures anymore, especially with printers? Hell, even the local supermarket develops pics for cheap.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
We're losing a Ritz and one of our independent photography stores.
The bummer about the locally owned one, is that they were one of the few labs in town where you could get hight quality prints and monster enlargements done by a professional and not some kid working part time to pay his way through school.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
We're losing a Ritz and one of our independent photography stores.
The bummer about the locally owned one, is that they were one of the few labs in town where you could get hight quality prints and monster enlargements done by a professional and not some kid working part time to pay his way through school.

Unfortunatly, that is probably why they are going out of business. With their competition using the kids at likely a cheaper rate they likely could not compete.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
You know soon they are going to have to stop the milk and ice deliveries to the house as well.;)

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
You know soon they are going to have to stop the milk and ice deliveries to the house as well.;)

Hahah. This is a good point. While it is sad to see businesses go away, sometimes that's what happens when newer, better ways are found. To be fair, the internet has been a major game changer for a lot of businesses. Running a retail operation is expensive, so online shops can undercut the local shops. But it also sometimes exposes certain local shops as being "successful" by default - because they had no real competition, or they never bothered to give extra value.

I think of several local computer shops around here that no longer exist - most of them weren't cheap, but at the same time, didn't establish themselves as a place to go to get knowledgeable or friendly service. They employed the same jerks that Best Buy did, did the same shoddy work and had the same crappy policies - so they faded away.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
People SAY that they are willing to pay up for service. However, the reality is that they are not. At the end of the day, price and convenience rule.

Ritz Camera is obsolete. It's very difficult to be a niche player.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sure, some loss is to be expected, but having a good photo lab in town is important to me.

I print pictures a couple times a year that are over-sized and can't be printed on home printers, and need to be gallery quality. Walgreen's won't cut it for the good stuff. I think we'll have two labs left soon.

Oh well, change happens.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
With B+H why go anyplace else? That place is amazing!

Yes it is. I only shop Amazon or Adorama for price (though B&H is cheap) and because my work gets a commission on Amazon sales through its website.

It's so funny how B&H is run by Jewish people who close from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Not even internet orders accepted. That's rare in this day and age!

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yes it is. I only shop Amazon or Adorama for price (though B&H is cheap) and because my work gets a commission on Amazon sales through its website.

It's so funny how B&H is run by Jewish people who close from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Not even internet orders accepted. That's rare in this day and age!

At first it was annoying, I've purchased a ton of stuff off of them over the years, and being the true American consumer that I am, I want it now. I finally went there, and saw the operation, all the orthodox (I think?) Jews, and I realized that it's really pretty cool. That's what our country is supposed to be like.

I have been able to find stuff just a little bit cheaper, but their customer service is outstanding at B+H.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
B+H is legit, unlike a lot of shady NY camera joints. Reseller Ratings speaks volumes about them:

Overall Customer Satisfaction Rating
Six-Month Rating: 9.71 / 10
Six-Month Reviews: 1630

Lifetime Rating: 9.51 / 10
Lifetime Reviews: 6876

The prices are fair, though at times you can find a place that might beat them. But they also don't pull the Bait & Switch that a lot of camera sellers seem to do. Check Reseller Ratings, as they also have the skinny on those other guys - including one who has this as a badge of honor "We detected and disabled 50+ fraudulent "Very Satisfied" reviews for this merchant."

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
And as a separate post, I actually bought a new camera from these guys today, - http://www.buydig.com . I was looking for a Sony DSLR and no one was even close to the price I got. They have been good to some friends in the past, and have respectable ratings.

I'll let you know if the price was to good to be true in the next few days :)

Has anyone hit a Ritz yet to see how the prices are?