Riley Martin: Getting ripped off?

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Something I have always wondered... do most people feel that Riley is getting ripped off for doing a radio show but being paid a pittance? I realize he accepts the pittance, but there always seemed to be something wrong in my mind with the fact that Riley airs original programming on a regular basis, but is not paid by any standard fee. He's paid as little as Tim and Howard can get him down to and they keep selling this idea that Riley should feel honored to be Howard's bitch.

By the same token, a lot of Howard's staff seem underpaid for working on the show (not necessarily for having no discernable skills), J.D. barely makes $30K I think, Sal barely makes $50K, etc.

Am I crazy or are these examples of a stereotypical unscrupulous "manager" and a powerless non-unionized workforce?

:idunno:

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Supply and demand.

What does an average Sirius on-air person make per hour? 400? Seems like that probably is the standard fee. Other than Howard and a handful of radio guys, it's not a high-paying market. Maybe if you're name is on the top of the bill.

Riley's show is popular only from the Stern angle, IMO. He's not going to get a regular radio gig with his show and language. He probably sells a shitload more symbols and pissjugs to the Stern crowd than to his other followers. I think Greg Fitzsimmons and Miserable Men do their shows for nothing, just the exposure.

You do realize that businesses work by employing people for as little as they get someone to do the job for? When Exxon/Mobil posted record profits, did they give the guys at the Quickie Mart a cut? No, they got paid to do their job.

Reactions: Bark

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
Something I have always wondered... do most people feel that Riley is getting ripped off for doing a radio show but being paid a pittance? I realize he accepts the pittance, but there always seemed to be something wrong in my mind with the fact that Riley airs original programming on a regular basis, but is not paid by any standard fee. He's paid as little as Tim and Howard can get him down to and they keep selling this idea that Riley should feel honored to be Howard's bitch.

By the same token, a lot of Howard's staff seem underpaid for working on the show (not necessarily for having no discernable skills), J.D. barely makes $30K I think, Sal barely makes $50K, etc.

Am I crazy or are these examples of a stereotypical unscrupulous "manager" and a powerless non-unionized workforce?

:idunno:

You are obviously not seeing things the same way Howard is.

Riley is being paid very well according to Howard. How can someone not survive on $400 a month? Riley was one of the only pieces of "talent" that was in negotiation per-Sirius that agreed to terms with How...I mean Sirius. Only the best for the paying fans.

Richard, Sal, and the rest of the Sirius working poor may be financially deprived, but they are much richer for having the experience of working for "the greatest radio show ever." I'm sure their mortgage, electric, and credit card companies take that into consideration each month. Suckers :jj:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Free country. You don't like what you're getting paid then leave and find another job.
To look deeper into it then that and see something else would mean your an idoit.

Reactions: Bark

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
You can bet that $1600/month Riley is making is more than his Social Security check. Hell, since Tim "The Detoxer" Sabien already feels he's worth $400/hr, the dumb fuck should be negotiating for more hours, not more money.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
J.D. barely makes $30K I think, Sal barely makes $50K, etc.

how do you know this?

There is no way the guy is getting ripped off. I wish i made $400 an hour. Please...

Plenty of time to get a second job

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
If Riley ever quit his Sirius gig, he'd be playing second fiddle to ETM's Idol Anal-ysis Show on the JFSC internet channels (and pulling in about as much cash as Eric is: $0.0).

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
gotta hand it to ol riley. he parlay'd his bullsh*t into replacing ferrall, and getting more money, and working from home. can't knock his hustle.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Free country. You don't like what you're getting paid then leave and find another job.
To look deeper into it then that and see something else would mean your an idoit.
\
Don't forget that almost the entire staff is composed of former interns and listeners...

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Riley is garbage. The fact that he makes $1600 for 4 hours of work a month FROM HIS HOUSE is an OUTRAGE.

Good for sound clips and picking on. Not worth $16

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Riley gets $400 for one hour of work every week. That's not a bad gig at all.

A lot of people would love that job, the same way people would want Howard's job. (Millions paid every year, the day is done by 11 AM, and you get Fridays off.)

I'd love either job, honestly.

Give me the following off for Howard's job:
Fridays(*), Two weeks at the end of the year, Thanksgiving and that Friday, all Federal holidays, two weeks in July or August, a week in the spring, and 3-4 other days.

(*)Although I am totally used to Howard getting Fridays off, I do think he should work Fridays before vacations as well as Fridays of "George Takei Week" but that's neither here nor there.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
You're only making assumptions on what they let you/us hear. Riley may very well be making more but only letting on to a low salary.

I think it's an ongoing bit.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008

Uncalled for. Plus, one could say you're oversimplifying, life isn't really like that - when people complain about wages, their employers don't fire them all and get the cheapest possible replacements.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Of course the quality of Riley's show is b.s., that is a given, but putting that aside I was just bringing up the fact that he is doing a job that Howard/Tim seem determined to undercut him at. BUT, I think some good points were made -- let's say on-air talent make a standard $400/hr., then there isn't any reason Riley should have a problem with that. The real problem is that Riley sees himself as a "brand" that should make significantly more, while Tim/Howard are arguing from a different perspective. It would make much more sense to state that the next time Riley complains rather than drag out the ol' tired bit.