Riding the DC Metro sucked big time today.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
That train that crashed yesterday is the one I take to-from Bethesda everyday. So today, they used half the # of cars, with fewer times and ran them at 2 mph. Took me an hour of being crammed in with a million people to travel a few frickin miles. Definitely looking forward to the ride back this evening.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That train that crashed yesterday is the one I take to-from Bethesda everyday. So today, they used half the # of cars, with fewer times and ran them at 2 mph. Took me an hour of being crammed in with a million people to travel a few frickin miles. Definitely looking forward to the ride back this evening.

It probably sucked more to be on the trains yesterday.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
For all I know, I was on that same train about 30 minutes before it crashed yesterday. And today, NOBODY was in the front of the trains. Everybody was crammed into the rear cars.
I thought one was rear ended by the other? -shouldn't everyone hunker down in the middle cars...

Glad you were not on either of the doomed trains BMF.

++++vibes to those involved in this accident.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I thought one was rear ended by the other? -shouldn't everyone hunker down in the middle cars...

Glad you were not on either of the doomed trains BMF.

++++vibes to those involved in this accident.

My understanding is that it was a head on accident. One train jumped the track and collided with another. I'm pretty surprised only 9 people died. These trains go quite fast past one another.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My understanding is that it was a head on accident. One train jumped the track and collided with another. I'm pretty surprised only 9 people died. These trains go quite fast past one another.

They were reporting it hear as a rear end collision between 1 moving train and a stopped train.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
They were reporting it hear as a rear end collision between 1 moving train and a stopped train.

That's what they were saying on TV. The driver of the rear train was killed, so they may never know what happened. I bet it ends up that the driver was texting on his cell phone. The front train was stopped at a red signal.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That's what they were saying on TV. The driver of the rear train was killed, so they may never know what happened. I bet it ends up that the driver was texting on his cell phone. The front train was stopped at a red signal.

They had one of those crashes in Toronto several years ago. It turned out to be a series of errors and poor procedures and faulty equipment which lead to the crash.

1. There was a faulty signal. The TTC told all train drivers to ignore it.
2. Driver on train A was at the end of the line and out of the cab when they made said announcement. So when he got to the malfunctioning signal, he stopped and waited.
3. Driver on train B was young and did not completely understand which signal was signal in question. He saw a red and ignored it.
4. A failsafe preventing a train from running a red signal (it is supposed to trip something on the train to force it to a hard dead stop) was malfunctioning on train B. It did not stop.
5. Train B rear ended train A.

It would not surprise me that there was a failsafe which did not work here. There is no real reason to rely 100% on a human seeing a red light on these systems.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
we can track our kids/spouses/employees ect in real time with gps and cellular , yet train engineers dont have the technology to see where all the trains are and whether their moving or not?

wheres the iphone app?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
we can track our kids/spouses/employees ect in real time with gps and cellular , yet train engineers dont have the technology to see where all the trains are and whether their moving or not?

wheres the iphone app?

They didn't isntall it since it didn't contain Howard Stern.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I don't know how it works for other train systems, but I know in the NYC transit system there is a failsafe system that more or less prevents trains from running red lights at full speed. When you have a red signal, a small metal arm pops up along side the track. If a train moves past the red light at more than 5 MPH, the arm trips a valve near the wheels that dumps the compressed air on the train and forces the train into an emergency stop.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't know how it works for other train systems, but I know in the NYC transit system there is a failsafe system that more or less prevents trains from running red lights at full speed. When you have a red signal, a small metal arm pops up along side the track. If a train moves past the red light at more than 5 MPH, the arm trips a valve near the wheels that dumps the compressed air on the train and forces the train into an emergency stop.

Thats exactly how Toronto's is. The problem was that the arm didn't come up all the way and it did not trip it. They have replaced them all after the accident and I think have improved their maintenance as well.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Too bad Captain Sullenberger wasn't driving.

I'd stretch out in the front car on the trip home tonight. Plenty of leg room.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Thats exactly how Toronto's is. The problem was that the arm didn't come up all the way and it did not trip it. They have replaced them all after the accident and I think have improved their maintenance as well.

That could be a problem :clueless:

I like Toronto's transit system with the quiet rubber tires.