Rich speeder fined 6 figures!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
We so need this kind of sliding scale here...and not just for vehicle infractions.

Swiss driver hit with $300,000 speeding ticket - thestar.com

GENEVA–A Swiss court made recent headlines around the world by slapping a euro203,181 ($300,321 Canadian) speeding ticket on a millionaire Ferrari driver. The punishment struck many people as extreme, but Swiss legal experts and campaigners defend basing fines on income as a fair and effective way to make the wealthy obey traffic laws.
Germany, France, Austria and the Nordic countries also issue punishments based on a person's wealth. In Germany the maximum fine can be as much as $16.6 million compared to only $1 million in Switzerland.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
With current exchange rates.....carry the 1...... times -i, about $6 USD.
Just enough to get another DUI...

molson.jpg

Reactions: Casual Fan

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
That's such BS. Traffic fines should not be based on income. Besides, there is a way already to stop rich traffic violators. It's called a revoked drivers license.There is a certain point where they will revoke your driving privileges. Paris Hilton is rich and she got jail time and revoked driving privileges on her first dui offense. They will also take it for too many speeding tickets, reckless driving, etc.

Who here hasn't got a speeding ticket? How did it effect you? Probably 95% of you and it didn't affect you very much.
How many here has got a DUI? Probably 40% of you, and I bet it effected you very much.

Should rich folks serve a longer prison sentence for an equal crime by someone in the middle class?

Last edited:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
That's such BS. Traffic fines should not be based on income. Besides, there is a way already to stop rich traffic violators. It's called a revoked drivers license.There is a certain point where they will revoke your driving privileges. Paris Hilton is rich and she got jail time and revoked driving privileges on her first dui offense. They will also take it for too many speeding tickets, reckless driving, etc.

Who here hasn't got a speeding ticket? How did it effect you? Probably 95% of you and it didn't affect you very much.
How many here has got a DUI? Probably 40% of you, and I bet it effected you very much.

Should rich folks serve a longer prison sentence for an equal crime by someone in the middle class?

+ 1 I agree. Why should the man fine you more because you make more? Why should they tax us more just because we make more? I hate this "progressive" tax stuff.

Do 40% of us have DUIs? Damn...

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Bullshit! stick it to em where it hurts most. regular fines are no deterrent to the uber wealthy. Should rich people continue to get out of jail earlier than the poor? (or get to spend their "time" at club fed?)
the amount of money you 'own' should never-ever be a loophole.

People drive with revoked/suspended licenses all the time. Sure you also can take the car but a rich person just buys another and the poor guy looses his job cause he cant get to work anymore.

I've lived on a winding road all my life, why is it only the the most expensive cars are the ones that constantly cross over the line on left-hand turns and expect on coming traffic to move over? Because the ticket(s) they got for breaking that law impacted them about as much as me buying a stick of bazooka gum. Sad part was one of em finally got the message, when she went heads on into a dump truck and died a slow death. Unfortunately its now the truck driver that has to live with the horror of that event.

I also think that traffic fines in general should be raised across the board, it just needs to be WAY more for the uber wealthy.

Last edited: