Reviews of Sirius TTR1?

jbjonas

Nov 15, 2009
I'm led to believe that I will be getting a Sirius TTR1 for Christmas. I'm wondering if anyone out there has one, or knows anything about it.

I'm excited especially for the alarm clock feature. I like to wake up to Howard... I'm also wary for two reasons. 1 is that it's made by Audiovox, with which I am not the most comfortable for producing high quality electronics. 2 is that it seems to be rushed to market by Sirius - no vendors had any available until this week, and they all seem to be selling out very quickly... Sirius has a history of rushing products to market (especially for Christmas) and then having issues and releasing a 2nd, improved version of it - you may have purchased the first generation of Stiletto???

Regardless of my wariness, I'm excited about the TTR1 and any info or reviews anyone else might have.

ttr1_610x371.png

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I remember reading on the Sirius web site that the TTR1 stream will automatically cut off after an hour and a half if you don't touch the radio. Could you verify this when you get your TTR1?

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I would like to know that too...

If it times itself out, then I'll just stick to the method I'm using now to stream in the house.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Yeah, I would like to know that too...

If it times itself out, then I'll just stick to the method I'm using now to stream in the house.

How friggen stoopud would that be. Throw that silly thing in the garbage if that's the case.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I have a Sonos system that I use to stream Sirius Internet Radio.
It does not time out at all.
Maybe a device like this will act the same way.
I guess we'll find out once someone actually reviews it here.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I am assuming its MAC address will be accessable and it can handle a secure network? I use WAP + MAC address security for my WiFi router.

I see its listed on TSS now but Sirius has not provided any documentation (not a big surprise I suppose).

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I am assuming its MAC address will be accessable and it can handle a secure network? I use WAP + MAC address security for my WiFi router.

I see its listed on TSS now but Sirius has not provided any documentation (not a big surprise I suppose).

Most wifi enabled devices that come out these days have the capabilities you describe. I'd be surprised if that was not the case.

If, for some reason, you can't get at the MAC address, you can just momentarily drop your router security, let the device register with the router, then check the router's IP table to get the MAC. Or, if your router keeps a log, you should be able to see the radio's unsuccessful attempts to join your network. Usually the MAC address would appear in that log. Most home routers have logging disabled by default.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Looks like SIRIUS just lost a buyer... I was going to buy it too.

Stream Closed = The radio may have timed out due to lack of activity. Turn your radio off and on again. To prevent a time-out, periodically adjust the volume, change the channel, or enter a menu, etc.

So in other words... You have to play with your knob every now and then to keep the stream going. :rolleyes:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
It appears to work on the same premise as the online player. One has to think it will boot you off after the predetermined time.

Anyone call Sirius to ask?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008

So in other words... You have to play with your knob every now and then to keep the stream going. :rolleyes:

FAIL!!

WTF are they thinking?! I know I don't have to play with the FM radio to keep it working.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York

That's a dumb idea. Poor design.
I understand their desire to manage bandwidth, but it's a poor implementation.

jbjonas

Nov 15, 2009
Thanks for this. I don't know how I didn't find it earlier.

I will be very annoyed if it does indeed time out... I suppose it's possible if enough subscribers complain they could remove that 'feature' through a software update. I guess we'll see. If I get one for Christmas and I decide not to send it back :rolleyes: I will post a review as soon as I have anything to say.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You can bet it will time out in keeping with all the other online players and streaming. While I understand it because you'd have potentially thousands of folks leaving their devices streaming all the time. It seems there could be a different implementation in order to make it work better.

I actually use this to my advantage sometimes at night via my iPhone or iPod Touch because there is no timer built into the application. I know within about an hour and half the little pop up will come up wanting to know if I am still listening. The music stops playing until you respond. I sort of use this as a timer. However, while listening during the day for long periods it is a pain in the ass.

No offense to anyone buying one of these, but that has got to be the most ugly freaking thing I have ever seen! Looks like ZERO effort went into the design to make it appealing at all.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I actually use this to my advantage sometimes at night via my iPhone or iPod Touch because there is no timer built into the application. I know within about an hour and half the little pop up will come up wanting to know if I am still listening. The music stops playing until you respond. I sort of use this as a timer. However, while listening during the day for long periods it is a pain in the ass.

I use this feature as a sleep timer on my SL2.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I dont' see the big deal in the internet stream timing out.

That doesn't really look like a player that will boom music all throughout your house so most liely if you are listening to it you will be within three feet of it and during an hour and a half will most likely have to adjust the volume, change the channel or something.

My SL2 times out rarely in my office because I'm listening to it while working and I"m always turning it up or down depending on how many phone calls I'm getting or whatever.

This isn't an issue for me.