Renteria to Giants

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Hey Packie, I'm just curious what your thoughts on this move are. To me, if they get the Renteria from last year who hit .270 with a .317 OBP, it's an awful deal. And he's getting up there in age too, so he might not bounce back. Two years, 18.5 million dollars after hitting .270...must be nice.

By the way, if Omar Vizquel hasn't officially retired yet, he might want to start preparing a statement. Great career for him, but it appears to be over.

Reactions: Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
At .270 he would be a huge improvement over Omar's bat from last year. I'll tell what I like, I like that Sabes is trying to form a winner, an above .500 team in the pathetic NL West. He knows he has great pitching, what was lacking was the two out hit, the moving the runners into scoring position and of course the pianos with parachutes running the base paths. He's patching holes where he needs to do so without losing any of the young arms. Although I heard a rumor that Jonathon Sanchez could be dealt to get a bat. I forget the particulars, but it was for someone that hit nearly 30 bombs last year.

Yeah I like getting Rent-Aurillia for the infield needs.

Yeah, so far so good. I really am looking forward to next year's team.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'll tell what I like, I like that Sabes is trying to form a winner, an above .500 team in the pathetic NL West.

I'd be encouraged too that the team is willing to open their checkbook and spend. But there are wise purchases, and then there are not-so-wise purchases. They had the right intention with Zito, but not a lot of careful discretion was used before inking that deal. I'm not comparing this Renteria deal with Zito's, but 18.5 million over two years is a hefty contract for an aging short stop coming off a bad year. But hey, it's not your money or mine,, and with no salary cap, who cares? But you're right, he's definitely a step-up from Omar. And if he bounces back and has a solid year, it'll all have been worth it.

And I'm probably not the one to criticize another team's off-season moves. So far, the Astros have Mike freaking Hampton to hang their hat on. Oh yeah, and we're the ones paying over $14 million this season to Miguel Tejada, an even older, further over-the-hill shortstop who can't even juice anymore.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Yeah, with Brandon Backe and now Hampton, our pitching staff can probably hit better than they can pitch. Go figure.

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
They're applying the same methodology that started what was the foundation of the successful Yankee tradition. Get a pitcher that can hit. The Yankees got Babe Ruth and the rest is history. I believe the Astros will next be looking for C.C. Sabathia.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Sabathia actually has talent. No, I feel safe in saying the Astros have no intention of wooing C.C.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Come on...you have to indulge in my ridiculous theory.

I have another one where my team finally wins a World Championship after 50 years of futility.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah...but I wouldn't be the first person to sell Babe Ruth a little short.

Just imagine that these words right here are actually a picture of the poster for the musical, "No, No, Nanette".

I was too lazy to fish it out on the Internet.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
So let me get this straight. You think Boston might have made a bad deal? Wow, I don't know...trading away the best baseball player ever in an effort to keep a Broadway musical comedy alive? Yeah, probably not the wisest of decisions. They did get something in return though...something about a curse?

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
By the way, if Omar Vizquel hasn't officially retired yet, he might want to start preparing a statement. Great career for him, but it appears to be over.

In following baseball since 1974, Omar is the best defensive shortstop I have seen. IMO, he was a better defensive shortstop than Ozzie Smith, Barry Larkin, Dave Concepcion etc. (Of course, I had to mention two Reds. :p )

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
In following baseball since 1974, Omar is the best defensive shortstop I have seen. IMO, he was a better defensive shortstop than Ozzie Smith, Barry Larkin, Dave Concepcion etc. (Of course, I had to mention two Reds. :p )

I would agree. I had the pleasure to watch him at the end of his career on a nightly basis and he was as advertised. Although Ozzie was right there with him. Ozzie broke my heart a couple of times, especially in 1987 during the playoffs and with his cheap shot at Will Clark's head during a clean break up of a double play the following year.

For what it is worth...Omar stole home last year. One of the few Giants offensive highlights from last year.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Randy Johnson to the Giants:

Giants sign Big Unit to one-year deal | MLB.com: News

SAN FRANCISCO -- Reflecting their intent to vault back into contender's status immediately, the Giants signed free-agent left-hander Randy Johnson to a one-year, $8 million contract Friday........... (Click on Link for rest of the story)

It looks as if the Giants will have a starting rotation featuring three Cy Young winners.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
It looks as if the Giants will have a starting rotation featuring three Cy Young winners.

In a somewhat week division, the Giants are smart and going for it. The Reds had a chance to do this a couple of years ago and now we have to contend with a much stronger Cubs and Brewers team. :bigcry:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Come on...you have to indulge in my ridiculous theory.

I have another one where my team finally wins a World Championship after 50 years of futility.

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes.

I'll probably be doing this all the way until April.

Again...I'm sorry...I have to do this.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
As a longtime fan of the New Orleans Saints, I think I understand what you might be feeling having just seen your team win the championship. Enjoy the moment!!

We're still celebrating the Super Bowl by the way... :cool: