Red Sox Designate Smoltz for Assignment

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
"After giving up eight earned runs in Boston's loss to the Yankees on Thursday night, John Smoltz on Friday was designated for assignment."

"Billy Traber, who gave up five runs in 3 2/3 innings on Thursday on the day he was called up from AAA, was also designated for assignment."

I guess they're pretty serious up there. Should have at least the wild card wrapped up, but there isn't room in beantown for guys like this. For Traber: Welcome to Boston, now pack your bags and get outta here...

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Is it possible for a 90 win team to miss the playoffs? (playoffs?) :scratch:

My guess is that this year that might be the case. Between the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, & Red Sox, you're going to see a very good team home during the month of October :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Is it possible for a 90 win team to miss the playoffs? (playoffs?) :scratch:

My guess is that this year that might be the case. Between the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, & Red Sox, you're going to see a very good team home during the month of October :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

In 1993 the San Francisco Giants won 103 games and didn't make the playoffs, so yes, it is possible for a team with 90 wins to miss the playoffs.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
In 1993 the San Francisco Giants won 103 games and didn't make the playoffs, so yes, it is possible for a team with 90 wins to miss the playoffs.

Did the have the current playoff system back in 1993? :scratch:

I thought that started in 1994,

IMHO, only the 4 best teams in each league should go to the playoffs (playoffs? :shock:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Did the have the current playoff system back in 1993? :scratch:

I thought that started in 1994,

IMHO, only the 4 best teams in each league should go to the playoffs (playoffs? :shock:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Had the Wild Card existed, they would certainly have made it, but yes you are correct, they were a year too early...as usual. Now that the Wild Card exists, you will see a lot of 90 win teams not make it to the post season. The Wild Card adds a lot of excitement to teams and cities that might not otherwise be viable contenders. I think it's a good thing. I just hope that they don't carry more playoff teams in the future.

They should also start the season earlier. They should start things up in the third week of March and they shouldn't allow for mid season trades. You go with what you start out with or you go into the farm systems..that's it. It would make the GM's have to really do their home work and it would prevent great players in small markets jumping onto the Yankwagon each June and July.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX

I remember in '04 the Wild Card came down to Houston and San Francisco on the last day. I believe the Giants won 90 or more that season and missed out.

I think the White Sox won 90 games in 2006 and missed the playoffs.

I'm sure there are other examples...

they shouldn't allow for mid season trades. You go with what you start out with or you go into the farm systems..that's it. It would make the GM's have to really do their home work and it would prevent great players in small markets jumping onto the Yankwagon each June and July.

I really like that idea. Good luck getting the MLB to adopt it, though.