records!

DLariv308

Oct 27, 2008
MA
I am just wondering who here still owns a turntable and still spins the old vinyl?

I have recently got into it again and upgraded the record player to a Technics SL-1210MK5 and been buying some used and new records. :dj2:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
My younger brother (early 20's) has amassed a pretty big collection of classic albums on vinyl, and enjoys listening to them.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
I'm a vinyl freak myself.

For my birthday last year, My mom got me a turntable that hooks into your computer so you can download your old records. What's even neater is that I also downloaded a great pop and scratch remover called DePopper, and it does a kick-ass job. I recently burned and remastered my mom's old Beatles "Abbey Road" album for her, and she was extremely proud of the result.

My more-recent vinyl collection consists of:
Beck "Modern Guilt"
Pearl Jam "Ten" remastered
Shreikback "Nemesis" (12-inch on original vinyl; excellent condition)
Depeche Mode "Wrong" seven-inch
Disturbed "Inside the Fire" seven-inch

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
I've got a bunch of old records that I picked up at flea markets and second hand stores, mostly for collection purposes, but I do play them on occasion. Mostly 70s rock. I've got Who's Next and Deep Purple's Made in Japan and Machine Head to name a few.

fineware

Nov 8, 2008
Remington, VA
I have over two melon crates of classic vinyl that goes back to the late 60s (not including re-issues). I also have a JVC turntable from the early 80s that I have connected to a battery operated preamp. It is connected to the sound card on my computer, and I have been digitizing them for the past five or so years. The stylus dampener on the original cartridge disintegrated over time... was not fun finding a halfway decent replacement.

Incidentally, I am also doing something similar with my cassettes that still work. Have had a number of classic concerts recorded from King Biscuit Flower Hour, etc. that now don't sound too terrible on my iPod. If anyone plans on doing that as well, recommend you have the screw-apart shell from an old Maxell or TDK cassette handy for doing quick repairs. I've had quite a few tapes separate from the spool leaders when loosening them up by fast forwarding and rewinding. Again, just like finding a cartridge replacement, finding a decent auto-reversing tape deck to replace the one whose belts are now shot was not easy either.

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I have seen them on Tv.
TV? that's that new contraption that lets you watch shows and movies on a bigger screen than you can on a computer or phone, while sitting in a big comfortable chair too, right? I hear some even have clickers to mute the sound without having to get up.

Supposedly they even have a special channel that only plays music videos 24/7, I think they call it eMpTyV.

I want one!
:rolleyes:

DLariv308

Oct 27, 2008
MA
Ironically I started back up with the record buying and playing after the purchase of the 42" flat panel tv. I have Def Leppard spinning now waiting for the company to arrive :rock:

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I love playing my older LP's.

I have a turntable in my garage, living room and basement. The one in the garage gets played more than the other two combined.

I have a working 8-track player in my basement. :eek:

1025080947.jpg

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
BEST BUY TURNING THE TABLES WITH VINYL

By PETER LAURIA

Last updated: 10:43 am
April 27, 2009
Posted: 1:19 am
April 27, 2009

Best Buy is giving vinyl a spin.

The consumer-electronics giant, which happens also to be the third-largest music seller behind Apple's iTunes and Wal-Mart, is considering devoting eight square feet of merchandising space in all of its 1,020 stores solely to vinyl, which would equate to just under 200 albums, after a test in 100 of its stores around the country proved successful.

Though vinyl represents less than 5 percent of Best Buy's music sales, the format is growing while CD sales continue to shrink.

BEST BUY TURNING THE TABLES WITH VINYL - New York Post

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm a vinyl fan..I own a turntable..but I never use it.. I just buy the vinyl so look at them..

my latest purchase was the Pearl Jam box set with remastered Ten and the vinyl of the "Drop in the Park" concert...

I buy them new and used..I usually spend a day going from store to store..

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm not a vinyl fan. I have several boxes of old vinyl, much of which isn't available on CD. I bought a new turntable last year to digitize all those LPs, but once digitized, I never play them. I've got 90G of music that can be played in my TV room, my bedroom, at the pool or in my car. Vinyl is teh suck for that.

HomieG

Oct 13, 2008
I do, I do. Still can't find many 60's LP's on CD. Soooo, turntable to mp3 for me.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I do, I do. Still can't find many 60's LP's on CD. Soooo, turntable to mp3 for me.

You should convert them to a lossless format (such as WMA Lossless or FLAC)

MP3 takes out bits here and there to compress the music. If it was me, I would want to preserve every detail in the music (keeping a master copy on the computer, and converting that to MP3 if you want to put it on an MP3 player). There are actually portable players out there that play lossless music natively (such as the Zune and WMA Lossless), so that could also be something to look into.

Just a suggestion :)