Reasonable price for hiding wires?

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I was quoted $125 labor for hiding/installing an antenna and power wire. Does that seem about right?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Depends on the car. sounds like a bit much for a '77 Blazer and steal if its a Bugatti. :D

Permanent roof mount or mag?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Sounds about like what Id expect to pay out here in cali.
Now if I was buying some of the equipment from the installed id want a discount on the work...

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Sounds about like what Id expect to pay out here in cali.
Now if I was buying some of the equipment from the installed id want a discount on the work...

Figured that might be the best route. I wonder what Best Buy charges.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If you mean the oem antenna, I think they are wrong. There are ways to use factory installed oem antennas with aftermarket sat rad installs.

Absolutely it just requires and adapter. I purchased one to make use of my XM OEM antenna, so that it would work with my XpressRC.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
And from where did you purchase it?

I got it from a member on the forum that not only builds them, but sells them.

You can send him a PM and he will ask you what he needs to know. For example, the OEM antenna is it a dual lead or single lead?

His username is brianrwebb

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I got it from a member on the forum that not only builds them, but sells them.

You can send him a PM and he will ask you what he needs to know. For example, the OEM antenna is it a dual lead or single lead?

His username is brianrwebb

He's researching it for me now. He's never worked a Hyundai before.

Meanwhile, I got a mobile guy to come by my office and do it for $65.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I emailed Brian and he said he would research it. Right now, I'm just using the one that came with the XMP3.

Cool, well it is probably just as well because for Brian to make a customized antenna adapter it would likely be $40 and up. Since you already have the XMP3 antenna setup, you might as well save that money.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Cool, well it is probably just as well because for Brian to make a customized antenna adapter it would likely be $40 and up. Since you already have the XMP3 antenna setup, you might as well save that money.

Yeah, but a car looks a little silly with 2 antennas when one is OEM. Fortunately, I put the after market on the front of the hood right next to the weather stripping, and the OEM is, of course, a shark fin in the back.

This will all be changing anyway as I will be ripping out the factory deck and speakers and replacing them with better. I figured this was a lot easier than getting a new car!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I use to always have two antennas anyway back when I had both Sirius and XM, so having two never bothered me. Right now in one car I have the OEM and in the other with no OEM I have the little XM antenna. I see no difference in performance and the OEM is like triple the size.

In the past I've always been fairly quick to rip out the OEM radio, but the one I have in my Scion (Pioneer) is actually pretty darn decent and I've been well pleased with it. I also have Pioneer speakers in all the doors, Pioneer amp and subwoofer. Most OEM's though are pretty cheesy.