Really Old Page On Siriusxm.com

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
There must be some really die hard fans if they still have radios like Stilletto, original Stratus or Roady's. I hear of people who replace there TV's every two years.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
There must be some really die hard fans if they still have radios like Stilletto, original Stratus or Roady's. I hear of people who replace there TV's every two years.
Often if you have one of these radios, they may keep getting a satellite signal long after you stop renewing service. They fall out of the loop for receiving the shutoff signal. So as long as you can keep it running, you'll get free Sirius. I had a Starmate 2 that went for about 5 or 6 years after we moved our subscription to another unit.

Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Often if you have one of these radios, they may keep getting a satellite signal long after you stop renewing service. They fall out of the loop for receiving the shutoff signal. So as long as you can keep it running, you'll get free Sirius. I had a Starmate 2 that went for about 5 or 6 years after we moved our subscription to another unit.

I think S/XM missed the mark on the activation/deactivation signals. Their activation signal should have triggered activation for 3 months (better if they could encode the time in the signal) and if no further activation signal is received when that time is up, it deactivates. By making it receive a kill signal, they wind up with these orphan working radios.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Aww I miss my old radios. Quite frankly I listened to them more than the app. I've forgotten most of the channel numbers.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

I heard great things about the S50. People loved that thing.

(It was the precursor to the Stilettos. It could act like a portable radio, but could only get live radio while docked.)

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Five or six years is amazing. I think I got mine for a few months, but more likely, less than two. When it ended, I was like "Welp. I guess that's it."

I think people were selling theirs online with a disclaimer about "free service for a while" or such.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Aww I miss my old radios. Quite frankly I listened to them more than the app. I've forgotten most of the channel numbers.

For the Onyx, I just use presets and artist alerts...this makes things interesting when I get something on Boneyard or Road Trip Radio that I want to get to in a few moments...those aren't presets.

I'm not really a fan of the new app. If I want a list of channels (vs the tiles) it seems like it's too many steps. The list of channels should be easier to get to.

With that said, I can see why they shut the other stuff down...even though, I wish there was a data-free method of listening "on the go." It seems to be a step sideways from 2006 and not really a step forward.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I heard great things about the S50. People loved that thing.

(It was the precursor to the Stilettos. It could act like a portable radio, but could only get live radio while docked.)
The S50 was awesome......when it was running. Unfortunately, they had a tendency to just stop working.
The Stiletto was more stable, had a few more features, and lasted longer, but it was still buggy.
The Lynx is still a really good radio. It only has a couple of bugs, but could have been a great radio. I think that it came out a little late. The apps were starting to be a viable way for people to listen, and it sounded like SXM sunk too much money into developing the Lynx to keep supporting it when sales were soft.

They had a web browser and a few other things built in that were really more than anyone with a cell phone would want to bother using. If they would have kept it simple, it probably would have been better for them.

I still like mine for the car and in the house, but I got moved to a spot in the office that is too far from a window to use an antenna, so I've been using the app.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
The original Inno worked from 2007-2016. I dropped one and replaced it. That was far more stable than anything sirius put out. I miss it too.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I just received a deal for an Edge radio for 9 bucks!!! That sucker been around since what 2011? I was kinda interested for home use because I don't really like listening to the app at home. It locks up and doesn't start all the time on both of my computers too. And the phone works great but I miss the old radios.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I just received a deal for an Edge radio for 9 bucks!!! That sucker been around since what 2011? I was kinda interested for home use because I don't really like listening to the app at home. It locks up and doesn't start all the time on both of my computers too. And the phone works great but I miss the old radios.
I have that issue on my computer -- not starting up. Works great on my phone and my Alexa.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

Is that the one that gets both XM and Sirius as separate plans?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I think it just gets the xm side. But I forget. I have to open and close the app on both my computers multiple times before it works well. The other day I cussed up a lung lamenting the loss of my old radio and using my phone with a stupid dongle to listen in my car.