Really enjoying best of 2008

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Stern takes a lot of vacation and we all flame him for it because he usually gives us something shitty to listen to in place of his love shows but I have to admit, I'm really enjoying the Best of 2008.

Yesterday's show was great--I enjoyed the replay of the Chevy Chase interview and the High Pitch Mike vs. Artie was great to hear again (I could listen to that everyday) but the Tracey Morgan interview takes the cake. I have no idea if he is that insane or if it was an act for the show.

Today was fun for the Langford phone calls (which will NEVER get old), Artie Sleeping and Chris Rock. I could do without the Counting Crows bit as that seemed to go on forever. I remember NOT listening to that when it was on live. Oh, the Ryan Phillippe interview was great too.

I know we always trash Howard when he's not on live but the best of 2008, for me, is great.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
I don't want to sound too much like a hater, but this "best of" is just underscoring what a weak year it was for the show. JMHO of course. Hopefully now that the wedding is out of the way the show will start to get back to greatness.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I don't want to sound too much like a hater, but this "best of" is just underscoring what a weak year it was for the show. JMHO of course. Hopefully now that the wedding is out of the way the show will start to get back to greatness.

Tim promised to get back to greatness as soon as they're done with preparing the History of Howard Stern, Part Two.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA

I don't get it. What do you people want from Howard?

What is he supposed to do exaclty to make his show "great again?" You people bitch and complain all the time about how "weak the show is" or how Howard is "phoning it in" but NEVER tell us what made the show great back in the day or why the show is "weak" now.

The Butler

Oct 14, 2008
Canton-Massillon, Ohio

Not saying "We're running out of time" before 8:00. Not announcing in the first segment that he has a meeting and has to get out on time. Not bitching to all end when a guest is a little late and shows up near 9:00. That's for starters.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I don't mind the best of 2008 so far. My only complaint is that there have been 3 or 4 segments from the last two months. While they may have been some of the best of the year they were still too fresh for me to enjoy.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Not saying "We're running out of time" before 8:00. Not announcing in the first segment that he has a meeting and has to get out on time. Not bitching to all end when a guest is a little late and shows up near 9:00. That's for starters.

Howard has always done this. He has always been rough on people when they are running late--always. And yeah, he bitched about Weiland being late, then made a great interview out of his Producer and then had Weiland in for a full interview. HOWARD BITCHES and COMPLAINS about everything--this is why he is Howard. Oh, and by the way, the day he had his meeting and had to get out of there early, the show ended after 10.30.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
Howard has always done this. He has always been rough on people when they are running late--always. And yeah, he bitched about Weiland being late, then made a great interview out of his Producer and then had Weiland in for a full interview. HOWARD BITCHES and COMPLAINS about everything--this is why he is Howard. Oh, and by the way, the day he had his meeting and had to get out of there early, the show ended after 10.30.

this is right on

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008

Stop with the facts! You are only confusing the situation! How are we supposed to hate someone for complaining about having to leave at a certain time, and then staying way past that time?

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008

What is he supposed to do exaclty to make his show "great again?" You people bitch and complain all the time about how "weak the show is" or how Howard is "phoning it in" but NEVER tell us what made the show great back in the day or why the show is "weak" now.

Chill out! Why are we getting yelled at? Seriously...maybe you're being extra defensive because you know it has been a weaker year.

I don't think the SHOW will go back to it's greatness when History Part 2 airs....I think that the specials might get better and be less bad Sirius rehash and we might get decent programming on Fridays again.

Show quality is what it is. Some days are better...some weeks are better. But it's hard to disagree that 2006 was better than 2007 and 2007 was better than 2008. It's opinion, but you have to be as special as Double A to truly defend this year as their best yet...Don't know that I'm looking forward to next year! I wouldn't say it was necessarily the worst I heard. That would likely be 2001-2002 with the whole seat filler era and Artie struggling to find his voice (he didn't truly find it til Sirius, when he sort of took over).

I heard a little bit of the 2008 best of this year and I will say that they got something right....they are editing it for the THING that they are highlighting...In other words, no bumpers, no more bullshit unrelated John Hein or Steve Langford or bad phone calls.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
Here's a unbiased opinion from a Stern fan [some of even accused me of being a Stern apologist in the past.]

I am finding the Stern recordings on my Stilleto increasing in number each week because I've lost most desire to listen. I used to listen the same day to the entire segment.

Some of the things that bother me about the show [actually they don't bother me, I just don't care]:

Howard is just going through the motions many days [not all but many.
The show is turning into a mouthpiece for Beth's personal agendas.
Artie's stories and act are getting old. Yeah, Artie we all know...you used to be a longshoremen and you make $50,000 a gig.
Fratto and ETM's scripted crap is getting tiresome.
Now that Howard travelsd in famous circles certain celebs seem to be off-limits on the show. I thought Howard was going to cry over Dante's comments towards Natalie "One of the Most Beautiful Faces" Maines. Dante had it right...she is closer to a chubbie pig-face than some top ten beauty.

This is just my experience. I not here to offer up any proof or defend my points.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
Some parts of it are funny. For instance, Howard is interviewing Ivan Reitman's son, Jason, and it was brought up that Howard contacted Jason to "give him a break" and allow him to direct an episode of Son of the Beach. Jason's answer - "I was trying to shop a movie around, and I didn't want my only real directing credit to be Son of the Beach." Looks like Ivan sat his son down and gave his son some good advice - to steer clear of the Scarecrow. Hahahahaha.....

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Some parts of it are funny. For instance, Howard is interviewing Ivan Reitman's son, Jason, and it was brought up that Howard contacted Jason to "give him a break" and allow him to direct an episode of Son of the Beach. Jason's answer - "I was trying to shop a movie around, and I didn't want my only real directing credit to be Son of the Beach." Looks like Ivan sat his son down and gave his son some good advice - to steer clear of the Scarecrow. Hahahahaha.....

It turned out he was Reit, man.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Show quality is what it is. Some days are better...some weeks are better. But it's hard to disagree that 2006 was better than 2007 and 2007 was better than 2008. It's opinion, but you have to be as special as Double A to truly defend this year as their best yet...Don't know that I'm looking forward to next year! I wouldn't say it was necessarily the worst I heard. That would likely be 2001-2002 with the whole seat filler era and Artie struggling to find his voice (he didn't truly find it til Sirius, when he sort of took over).

QUOTE]

See, I really liked the 2001-2002 when they had a bunch of different people sit in on the show. Chappelle was in a couple of times, Artie, a bunch of different people. I actually liked that. of course, I'm glad it was Artie that got the job but I liked the variance.

Also, that was the big fight with AJ Benza and Stuttering John.