Read any good books lately?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I tend to read a lot and I'm always looking for new stuff.

Here are some good ones that I've read lately:

Caught Stealing
Six Bad Things
A Dangerous Man

This is a trilogy by Charlie Huston. They're about a guy that gets caught up in some stuff by accident and turns out he is a seriously bad dude. Great story and great action. The same author has also written a strange, Vampire Noir series about a Vampire named Joe Pitt. Kind of like detective novels but not really. Great series, in fact the 4th book just came out call "Til the Last Drop." In order they are:

1. Already Dead
2. No Dominion
3. Half the Blood of Brooklyn
4. Til the Last Drop--havent' read this one yet.

Also, there is a rather involved series about a character called "Repairman Jack." He is a fix it man but not with machines, he fixes problems for people that can't go to the cops. The series started with a book called "THE TOMB" and has spawned 10 sequels. They all involve a dark power that is coming to destroy the world. Great books. They're by F. Paul Wilson. I highly recommend as I have just finished the 10th book, "BLOODLINES."

Anybody got any good books to read? I need some recommendations. Post any suggestions or any literary discussions here. I'm always looking for new stuff.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Ironically, turns out Obama and I were both reading the same book this summer - great, great book:

9780743539135.jpg

I also re-read Catch-22, half of a book on Lewis and Clark (Undaunted Courage) and what I would argue is one of the greatest books of all time:

confederacy.jpeg.jpg

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Ironically, turns out Obama and I were both reading the same book this summer - great, great book:

9780743539135.jpg

I also re-read Catch-22, half of a book on Lewis and Clark (Undaunted Courage) and what I would argue is one of the greatest books of all time:

confederacy.jpeg.jpg

I will check out the first book--looks interesting. After Artie mentioned it for the 20th time, I read Confederacy of Dunces and laughed out loud. What a great book. When Ignatius led the worker revolt I lauged until my stomach hurt.

I've also read Catch 22 a couple of times. I reference it often and get pissed when people don't get the "MAJOR MAJOR" reference or when I say "you can't see him because he is in right now."

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I've also read Catch 22 a couple of times. I reference it often and get pissed when people don't get the "MAJOR MAJOR" reference or when I say "you can't see him because he is in right now."

That one isn't a Darwin book. It's about the 1860 election of Lincoln. Obama sighted it as how he wants to run his transition team. Lincoln made a point of including all of those running against him.

And yes, the "Crusade for Moorish Dignity" was a classic.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm re-reading William S. Burroughs' "Naked Lunch", and reading "A Devil's Chaplin" by Richard Dawkins. "Naked Lunch" is probably my favorite book ever written.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I'm re-reading William S. Burroughs' "Naked Lunch", and reading "A Devil's Chaplin" by Richard Dawkins. "Naked Lunch" is probably my favorite book ever written.

I really liked "Junky" by William Burroughs. I also just watched the movie version of "Naked Lunch" a while back... that's some strange stuff. If anyone is interested, the movie version of Naked Lunch can be viewed for free at Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free..

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I love the movie, but it's nothing like the book. Reading it this time, I want someone to do a Flash animation of the actual text. I'm thinking the guys that do Metalocalypse could do a decent job with it. But the text would need to be read by Burroughs himself. No one reads Burroughs like Burroughs.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I love the movie, but it's nothing like the book. Reading it this time, I want someone to do a Flash animation of the actual text. I'm thinking the guys that do Metalocalypse could do a decent job with it. But the text would need to be read by Burroughs himself. No one reads Burroughs like Burroughs.

Might be a little tough getting Burroughs to do a reading at this point.