Rap and Hip Hop XM vs SIRIUS

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
It's funny that I will hear some people say they love the Rap and Hip Hop on SIRIUS because it's uncensored and you hear the songs the way the artists produced them. I've then heard the exact opposite from some saying that they like the XM censored versions say if they have kids in their car or something. I wonder when and if they combine these channels how they will deal with censored lyrics or not.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You bring up a good point Taylor about the censored and noncensored version of the channels. I honestly think with them pulling together the like channles on Sirius and XM there is no reason why they can't continue to offer both.

RyanSirius

Oct 11, 2008
I love Sirius for the uncensored mixshows. Rap is not meant to be censored. It is riddled with swear words (whether or not that's positive or negative is something we can discuss at another time), and by bleeping or editing out these words the tracks just sound silly.

By the way, this is the most action any Sirius hip hop forum has seen in years!

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
With the R&B channels, I think only one will be eliminated , that being Suite 62 on XM, Heart & Soul is the match up to it for Sirius and it probably will win out. XM's The Groove & Soul Street have no match on Sirius and should be ok. Soul Town on Sirius is not the equivalent to Soul Street as it plays late 60s to 70s classic more so, Soul Street hits on 50s to early 70s. Just my 2cents....:)

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I agree that the uncensored nature of Sirius's rap channels should be untouched. Kids shouldn't be subjected to hip hop music anyway right. Bugs the hell out of me when songs get bleeped and blipped on XM.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
AZJoe knows his stuff when it comes to R&B/Urban. So, what channels would you like to see stay and combined Joe?

Dave

Oct 17, 2008
I think both do a good job... Sirius is better at mixshows, getting on-air talent, and better station imaging - and no surprise since it's NY-based. But ultimately XM has better playslists.

My ideal line-up would be:

The Rhyme - Old School Rap
Raw - Hip-Hop/Rap/Mixtapes - (REAL hip-hop)
Hot Jamz - Urban CHR
The Heat - Rhythmic Top 40

jkb246

Oct 17, 2008
Wow a new site-- Okay to the topic at hand

It looks like Cayman Kelly is still alive but Vic Clemons is gone. Let's hope that the Suite version of the channel survives vs Heart and Soul. One Heart and Soul is a boring name for a channel.

It's sad that Bobby Bennett is gone. Knowing the powers that be we will have 4 rap channels and one channel to play everything else.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I'd take:

The Rhyme from XM, but keep the Dana Dane's, Kurtis Blow's, and Red Alert's.
Shade 45 from Sirius: Superior mix shows, and on-air talent
Merge HHN and RAW, take mix shows from Sirius, and add some of the deeper playlists from RAW. Raw plays too much straight gutter rap, mostly southern and houston based rap music.
Merge Hot Jamz with XM's two r&b urban channels, these are generally the same.

RyanSirius

Oct 11, 2008
I agree with my buddy Geo 100%. Just make sure they keep all those channels uncensored! But it would be a huge shame if Geo's lineup does not come to fruition in its entirety.