Random crap to talk about. V2.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Agreed. That would be a horrible thing to happen. Every single time that a Martinsville or Pocono weekend comes this is talked about. Eventually it'll happen, money talks. Racing doesn't matter as much as the $'s.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Here's what still gets to me....anybody remember this?

From Jayski 2007

"New win record for Chevy: With a win by Jimmie Johnson, driver of the #48 Lowe's Impala SS, at Phoenix last weekend, Team Chevy surpassed its season win record of 25 victories set in 1958. Now, with one race left in the season, Chevy is gunning for 27 wins in one season which would give the bow-tie brand the impressive statistic of having won exactly 75 percent of all points-paying races in 2007. The win was also the 13th victory in 16 appearances for the Impala SS race car, which made its debut this season. Equally as noteworthy is the win statistic for the Monte Carlo SS, which has 13 wins in its final season of competition (out of 19 races). The Monte Carlo SS will run its last race in this weekend's Nextel Cup event at Homestead-Miami Speedway.(GM Racing PR)(11-14-2007)"

So in 2007 Chevy won 2/3rds of the cup races. That's fine. And everybody was like "wow, those cars sure are good". Don't remember hearing a lot of complaining on the radio or TV.

But in 2008 Toyota started winning a lot of races and....

"Is it time for NASCAR to put a governor on Toyota power in the Nationwide Series?"

NASCAR.COM - Toyota Nationwide engine remains under scrutiny - Jul 22, 2008

NASCAR cuts Toyota horsepower for Nationwide Series engines - Nationwide Series | NASCAR Racing News - SceneDaily.com

Yes I understand it's cup versus NW but the point being that it sure does seem that when Chevy wins a lot then "well, that's nothing new....them guys are just good". But when Toyota wins a lot..."why, them boys are doing something."

Here's a recent article from Mike Mulhern earlier this year...(yeah, I know, Mulhern? But this article brings up a valid point, I think)

"Where is NASCAR's engine-chassis dyno?
Let's check out all these Sprint Cup motors and see just who's got what under the hood.
Do Rick Hendrick's Chevy engines pull a lot more horsepower than rivals? Is that perhaps why Jeff Gordon doesn't want any tweaks to these 900-horsepower behemoths?
How much horsepower is too much for these machines? For good racing?
It's been a long time since NASCAR did an at-track engine dyno test, to compare the various makes.
At the moment it appears that Hendrick's engines are the class of the sport, and that Toyota and Ford are struggling….and that Dodge's new R6 engine is still somewhat of an unknown.
But NASCAR officials should haul out that chassis-dyno and put the top engines to the test – last week's race at Michigan was the perfect opportunity. The upcoming race at Chicago should be placed on the NASCAR docket.
In fact it's surprising that NASCAR has mothballed the chassis-dyno. Perhaps officials are afraid of what they might learn.
So what to make of Toyota at the moment? What to make of Kyle Busch's slump?
Rick Hendrick's Chevy teams are by far the class of the sport; everyone else is playing for second, even Busch.
No wonder all the speculation that Toyota's Team Red Bull may switch to Chevrolets next season. If Hendrick-power and engineering can work wonders for Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman, why not Jay Frye's Red Bull guys."

I know some will bring up "magnetgate". But were the toyota engines found to be illegal? And besides, how many times have those Hendrick fellas "pushed the envelope"?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I'm not sure what the issue really is but they did dyno 11 engines from various teams including Hendrick motors after Michigan in August.

The engines taken were from the Chevy's of #24-Jeff Gordon (Hendrick Motorsports), #14-Tony Stewart (Hendrick), #33-Clint Bowyer (Earnhardt Childress Racing Technologies), #42-Juan Pablo Montoya (ECRT); Toyota's of: #83-Brian Vickers (Toyota Racing Development), #00-David Reutimann (TRD), #11-Denny Hamlin (Joe Gibbs Racing); Ford's of #99-Carl Edwards (Roush-Yates Engines), #16-Greg Biffle (Roush-Yates) and Dodge's of: #77-Sam Hornish Jr. (Penske Racing), #19-Elliott Sadler (Richard Petty Motorsports).

Maybe I am missing the point of Mulhern's column. That wouldn't be my fist time though.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
New Ford FR9 engine at Talladega

Doug Yates confirmed that the new FR9 Ford engine will debut at Talladega Superspeedway in two weeks.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Boy that's good news. I hope it kicks tail. (and if it does, I hope nascar leaves it alone ;) )

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Gordon says back is doing better - Gordon met with the media and announced that his back is feeling better.

Carl Edwards to become Dad - Wife expecting girl next Feb.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
OK..... If that's the case then I am all for starting the rumor that Jimmie Johnson's wife, Chandra, is pregnant with twins. :bigthumbup:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA

In reading that article it would make you think that they never wrecked in the old car. :rolleyes: I failed in my search of Kurt Smith's credentials in engineering. Maybe it was simply opinion?

Moody interviewed her yesterday but I missed most of it. I'm sure someone here listened an could comment on how corrupt she is. :rolleyes:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
She rarely talks in public, but she did at the NASCAR HOF first five announcement...

NASCAR.COM Video - Hall of Fame: Teresa Earnhardt

For quite a while I thought that she rarely spoke in public because she has a speech impediment, and I still believe she does.

I've always liked her. She has a tough job. People blame her for Jr. leaving DEI. I hope she can help bring that team back to the top :)