Radio swap now $15.00

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I happened to check my bill today and found a $45.00 discrepancy. Long story short this month I did 3 radio swaps without knowing that since March 2009 radio swaps are $15.00.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
633722998985836615-OUCH-t2.jpg

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
call and tell them you were not told about the fees and might not have changed any thing if you were told. I would think that before charges are made that they would spell the fees out clearly, but I know that is not the case.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
call and tell them you were not told about the fees and might not have changed any thing if you were told. I would think that before charges are made that they would spell the fees out clearly, but I know that is not the case.
I did and they adjusted my bill. My problem is I was never informed as I'm sure many others have not been informed or did I miss something?

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
I assume you're talking about getting a new radio and swapping it out with an existing radio. Can you do this online or did you have to call?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If it's a warranty swap, it should be free, but you really have to make that fact clear with them. In fact, I wonder how they'd know?

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
If it's a warranty swap, it should be free, but you really have to make that fact clear with them. In fact, I wonder how they'd know?
Radio swaps were ALWAYS free. They said this started March 09'. ALL radio swaps are $15.00. So technically it may as well be a new activation, another great advantage for the merger.:rolleyes:

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Was anyone told about this? Although they removed the charges from my account, what is the point of buying new radios if it's gonna' cost me another fee to swap it? I hope my NEW XMp3 lasts for a few years.

I was exceptionally pissed because I was swapping out a broken radio. It's not like it was even my choice to be doing it. Between this fee and then, the following month, seeing my bill jump almost 100%, I was out.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
It's been like this for awhile.

I switched one out a few months ago and I said my radio was broken. They waived the fee "this time only."

It really sucks because I used to get the latest and greatest radio all the time. Did a tuner swap with no issues many times.

Now I'm hesitant to do so.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I was exceptionally pissed because I was swapping out a broken radio. It's not like it was even my choice to be doing it. Between this fee and then, the following month, seeing my bill jump almost 100%, I was out.
Same here, I was swapping out a broken radio. I blame all this kind of bullshit on the freakin' merger.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Never understood the swap fee.
Wouldn't it make sense to allow those for free?

Why should I pay them if I choose to BUY a new radio?
If I want to buy a new radio every two weeks, that's my business.
It's not like they subsidize the cost of the receiver like a cell phone company does.

It makes no sense to me. Why would they needlessly piss off customers??

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Same here, I was swapping out a broken radio. I blame all this kind of bullshit on the freakin' merger.

I agree and I believe that you are correct.

If the merger didn't happen, it would be blamed on the stock being around 60 cents and the company needing to make money.

It's more about the company needing to make money and hoping they get someone who doesn't check their monthly statement.

Yeah, I also wish the merger didn't happen. I could have paid $25 a month and had two car docks in one car while juggling an XMP3 and Starmate 4. :) Now, I get to pay about $16 a month (or less than that if I sign a long-term deal) while having 99% of the content (canadian channels exclusive for Sirius, Clear Channel and MLB exclusively on XM) on one radio.

No merger would have also meant that the two companies would have continued to pay higher fees for talent. Yes, they still have Oprah and Martha, but over time, they can begin to lower those contracts. Either Oprah or Martha actually recently re-signed for less money. In fact, part of why Howard's contract is so much is because Sirius offered much more than what XM originally offered... if there was only one company, his contract would have either been much less, or non-existent.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Never understood the swap fee.
Wouldn't it make sense to allow those for free?

Why should I pay them if I choose to BUY a new radio?
If I want to buy a new radio every two weeks, that's my business.
It's not like they subsidize the cost of the receiver like a cell phone company does.

It makes no sense to me. Why would they needlessly piss off customers??

Maybe there's some sort of activity that happens to the radio once it arrives back to wherever the store sends it to? Sirius XM would obviously need to pay for that company.

frazier52000

Jun 21, 2009
Only adds can be done online.

In my experience adds can't even be done online. On three different occasions I've tried to add new radios online and every time the ESN isn't recognized. But when I call and do it over the phone it works like a charm...

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Maybe there's some sort of activity that happens to the radio once it arrives back to wherever the store sends it to? Sirius XM would obviously need to pay for that company.

But we are not talking about returning the old radio here. This is just going out, buying a new radio and doing a swap with an existing radio already on your account. :confused:

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
If the merger didn't happen, it would be blamed on the stock being around 60 cents and the company needing to make money.
Pre merger I don't know what Sirius' stock was worth but XM was in the low double digits. My problem is the way the fee was snuck in there without notice, even as I was dong the swap NO CS rep informed me there was a fee for this. What else are they not telling us, is XM now allowing stolen radios to be reactivated like Sirius does? That little stunt took some of the luster of Satrad. out for me. Bottom line is how you tryin' play me? I'm NOBODIES fool and one of the worst things you can do to me is try to play me like one.