R.I.P. Wii (2006-2009)

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Nintendo just got
'd by Microsoft at the E3 opening

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U]YouTube - Project Natal for XBOX 360[/ame]

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Only I didn't say fudge. . . . .
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgx1sSfriIA&feature=related]YouTube - CHRISTMAS STORY[/ame]

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Please. Sony and Microsoft need to figure out how to make money with their junk game systems and enough with the gimics. If Sony and Microsoft ONLY had their videogame businesses they'd be out of business.

Just rush unfinished overpriced systems to the market...release 30updates to make up for the junk they initially released/price reduction to a legit price/Nintendo invented a NEW system and they need to quickly release a look a like gimic that no one cares about.

If this sells 10K I'd be shocked...actually I'd be shocked if this comes out at all.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
If Sony and Microsoft ONLY had their videogame businesses they'd be out of business.

Microsoft is the one that's making the most money on their system. While the Wii is outselling the other two in terms of console sales, their attach rates are very low. In fact, the Xbox 360's attach rate is larger than the Wii and PlayStation 3 COMBINED (especially when you factor in Xbox Live fees and Marketplace purchases).

I expect the attach rate to grow even further since you will soon be able to buy Xbox 360 games through marketplace... You soon won't even need to go out and buy the game when it comes out. You just need to buy the game through Xbox Live marketplace (through the Xbox 360 or a computer [web browser]) and it will automatically download.

release 30updates to make up for the junk they initially release

There's nothing wrong with updates to ADD functionality in my opinion. I see this as a plus (bug fixes are a different story, but it's not an inconvenience to me since the updates are always very small in file size and they're not as frequent as you're claiming).

If this sells 10K I'd be shocked...actually I'd be shocked if this comes out at all.

You can count me as one of the 10,000.

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Works In Progress Much?

Natal is Microsoft's response to Nintendo's extremely successful Wii, and it promises to trump the Wii in a couple of ways. First off, Natal utilizes face recognition -- simply stand in front of your TV, and Natal will figure out who you are and sign you in. Second, Natal features voice recognition, so you can use verbal commands to do everything from playing a movie (simply say "play movie") to having a conversation with a virtual character. The latter is where we enter groundbreaking (and potentially unnerving) territory. Developer Lionhead Studios showed off a Natal project in which players can interact with a virtual boy named Milo, who responds to your voice, movements, and facial expressions. It's best to check out the demo video yourself, embedded below:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdkw7sQZPT0]YouTube - Project Natal - Milo stage demo - Virtual Human[/ame]

The device features a "RGB camera, depth sensor, multi-array microphone, and custom processor running proprietary software," which provide full-body 3D motion capture, facial recognition, and voice recognition capabilities. The Project Natal sensor's microphone array enables the Xbox 360 to conduct acoustic source localization and ambient noise suppression, allowing for things such as headset-free party chat over Xbox Live.

The depth sensor consists of an infrared projector combined with a monochrome CMOS sensor, and allows the Project Natal sensor to see in 3D under any lighting conditions.

Last edited:

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
If it works half as well as they pretend it will, I'll be surprised.

There's already some sort of game like this out there. We played it several years ago in a restaurant in Tahoe. It was just a camera, but you could see youself on the screen and they had games where you had to swat at balls rolling at you from the sides. It read your motion... Don't know what it was called, but it was fun.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I cant wait for the "mow the lawn game."

leave it to bill to be johnny come lately.

How am i supposed to cut and fade in tiger woods on 360? (no twist sensor)

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
If it works half as well as they pretend it will, I'll be surprised.

There's already some sort of game like this out there. We played it several years ago in a restaurant in Tahoe. It was just a camera, but you could see youself on the screen and they had games where you had to swat at balls rolling at you from the sides. It read your motion... Don't know what it was called, but it was fun.

I know exactly what you're talking about. But this isn't some arcade game or "EyeToy" clone. This is a full-body 3D RGB camera with depth sensing, multi-array microphone and a sophisticated CPU.

As seen in the first video, this won't be limited to just games, you will be able to control your Xbox 360 with gestures and voice recognition (it will even automatically log you into your Xbox Live account using face recognition).

"About halfway through a closed-door demo I was in this afternoon of Microsoft's just-announced full-body motion-sensitive control system, Project Natal, another reporter told our host that he was skeptical of what he was seeing.

A minute later, after taking the virtual controls himself of the game "Burnout Paradise" and giving Natal a test, the reporter walked back over to where I was standing and when I asked him if he was still skeptical, he gave me a chastened look and said, "It's interesting."

In other words, he was won over.

Project Natal, as you probably know by now, was Microsoft's big announcement at its E3 press briefing here. It has gotten a lot of attention because of its promise to make it possible to incorporate all kinds of hands-free control into a wide variety of games: racing games, painting games, shooting games, sports games and so on.

But until now, I hadn't seen the technology close up. I was part of a small group that got the demonstration deep inside Microsoft's cavernous E3 booth. We were allowed to ask whatever we wanted, but we weren't able to take video or photos of the technology."

It's clearly evident to me that Microsoft is serious about the technology, so I'm optimistic (and according to the first video, the development kits for Project Natal have already been sent out to Microsoft's partners)

Here's a couple more videos:

[I found the reaction amusing at the 3:22 mark on the first video]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7utsoaVLQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2r9cKjNQe4[/ame]

Last edited:

MoeSyslack

Oct 14, 2008
Summer Shade KY
Wow, that is amazing. As a Nintendo fanboy Ive never owned another system, but the graphics on the Wii are terrible. I was telling my brother who is a Ps3 owner that if PS or xbox ever came out with motion controls I would switch to them. Looks like Im switching.

Nintendo may have come up the an innovative control scheme and changed gaming, but if you have ever played a Wii you know that the controls can be clunky, and with the graphics on an N64 level with some games is it really worth it? Not to mention their lack of vision with game developement.

If Xbox has developed a way to eliminate the controller completley they will dominate the market. They have to do better than the painting game though.

Besides I want to be able to try on dresses without buying them too! :bigthumbup:

hexagram

Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Nintendo may have come up the an innovative control scheme and changed gaming, but if you have ever played a Wii you know that the controls can be clunky, and with the graphics on an N64 level with some games is it really worth it? Not to mention their lack of vision with game developement.

There's only so much you can do with infrared. I don't see this as Microsoft copying Nintendo (since this concept of gaming has been thought of long before the Wii (and even the arcade games where you pop the bubbles like TheScionicMan mentioned).

They took a concept and made a great innovation at the same time. I will definitely be buying this when it comes out. :bigthumbup:

If Xbox has developed a way to eliminate the controller completley they will dominate the market.

As mentioned before, the technology is finalised and the dev kits have already been sent out to Microsoft's partners. It's now up to the game developers to get to work :cool:

MoeSyslack said:
They have to do better than the painting game though.

Look at the first post (first video). Fighting, Racing, and Trivia gameplay is demonstrated. With this technology, they are capable of making the ultimate in interactive games for every genre (even shooters). It's a mind orgasm just thinking about it. :drool:

Last edited:

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I love how these companies bash Nintendo as insignificant while they are working on copying Nintendo's exact format that they bring out as some "new idea" 3 years too late with ZERO support.

As for WII having bad graphics, I just picked up No More Heroes for $12 and it's better than anything I've played on XBOX on the simple idea that I can get a whole playing session in by the time the XBOX has done loading.

I'd rather have less or no load times if it means a hit in graphics than waiting around to play something cause we walked into another room of the game.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Im waiting for them to come out with a game where you hold a virtual controller and play another game. It's a game within a game, get it? Your real obstacles are telemarketer calls during game play, your mom urging you to clean your room and do your homework, and having to go to the bathroom.