Question about vBulletin in general

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
When you post a reply, does the page generally refresh on other sites? I have noticed that the page isn't refreshed but, instead, it just adds the reply to the page. You can tell this by looking at your last post in that thread and compare the post count, in that post, to the post count in your most recent post.

Sorry, it is the programmer in me that is noticing this shit. I did do a quick reply so that may have been the reason. At first I thought it wasn't keeping a running tally of the post count but instead using a static count for each post.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply. Shit like this bugs me until I find the answer. I guess that is why I love my job so much.

One hell of a game so far.

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
vBulletin makes use of ajax for a lot of the site. A standard feature with most of the newer (3.6.X and above) versions of vBulletin. Instead of refreshing the entire page it will just add the content to it, or update the specific areas that has changed.

It seems a little weird at first, but in the end I've found it to be better then the constant full page refreshes that the older versions do, and a lot quicker for the end user.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
drunk1.jpg

testing...

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Nice explanation. You are right, it certainly would speed it up especially if there were many pictures in the thread.