Question about SL2

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by Ehilbert1, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Hey guys. I have an SL2 and I really only use it for the wifi,mp3's and for recording Howard so I don't have to listen to commercials. I'm thinking about getting one for my sister. I know she will use it to record songs and talk shows. My question is what is the problem with the SL2 not recording and the memory getting corrupted. Like I said I don't try to record music at all. I just want to make sure its ok before I buy her one. I've tested mine and I don't seem to have a problem. Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Oh yea is there a SL3 on the way? If so maybe I should wait.

2. nafddur

nafddur Member

Just search around here - you'll find the S2 memory corruption problem discussed ad nauseam. Most of us have just learned to cope with it by now.

Just buy your sister's S2 at Best Buy, and get the extended warranty (4 year PSP) for her along with the receiver. That way, if the memory corruption problem becomes a real PITA for her, she can do a warranty exchange when the next generation of Stilettos comes out.

That's what I did for my son and his wife last Xmas. Since they do very little recording and/or saving of recorded shows, they really haven't experienced any problems and are perfectly happy with the S2 I got for them over a year ago. But they still have almost 3 years left on their BB PSP if they want to do a warranty exchange down the road.

I use my S2 for hours every day to record and play Stern and music - and (in spite of the quirks) still love it.

3. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

Thanks for your help. I think I will do that. The only bad thing about getting it at Best Buy is the $329 price tag. Everyone else has them for around $269 ,but with no extended warranty.

4. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Like nadfurr says, it is a well documented issue. It does not always happen and can start happening without warning. It does not matter if you are recording Howard, talk or music. I have had it happen to mine and a device recovery fixes it for 3-4 months. I do a shutdown once a week which also helps.

I still love the unit as well even though it tries my love occassionally.