Public Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Slacker Radio' started by snakester, Jan 23, 2009.

1. snakester

snakester Member

I had read somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember where) that the Slacker G2 had the ability to "step-through" terms of use pages on public Wi-Fi networks and let you refresh with them? I tried it today at the local supermarket, and it didn't work. It came up with "Cannot connect to Slacker"... did I misread or am I just missing a setting (or maybe it's a G1 thing they discontinued)?

2. Music_Rube

Music_Rube Member

Are you possibly thinking about Devicescape? I believe you can use Devicescape to access public wi-fi spots if I'm not mistaken.

3. snakester

snakester Member

Yeah, that's it. Is there anything special you have to do to turn it on, or is the wifi network I tried just incompatible with it?

4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

I think you have to go to drivescape.com and setup an account and register that wifi network for it to work, but in all honesty I've never tried it so I don't know step by step what is required.

5. Music_Rube

Music_Rube Member

I'm in the same boat...I've never tried it, either. But I would love to find out how it works.

6. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Don't you worry DAWG, Snake is going to figure it out and he will let us know. hehehe :)

7. snakester

snakester Member

So I'm the guinea pig now ;)

It seems to only apply to hotspots you can log in with via username and password... ones that just have an agree button don't seem to be covered. At least that's the vibe I'm getting from the devicescape web page, which if it's true is a huge oversight.

I know (at least as of a week ago) that Slacker isn't blocked at this store, as I brought my laptop there and listened to it. Might have to bring my laptop back and see if they changed their mind.

8. Geronimo

Geronimo New Member

most Wi Fi spots require enteringa user name and password and I see no way to do that witha Slacker.

i went to devicescape but it ells me that there is no WiFi network within 50 miles of me and I live right outside of DC.

I simply use my home WiFi as i have no idea how to access any public network and Slacker support and Devicescape have never responded to requests for help.