PS3 vs Wii vs XBox 360

Discussion in 'Games & Consoles' started by Oren, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Oren

Oren Well-Known Member

Oh boy! LOL!!! :p

For starters, I listed them in alphabetical order, to be fair!! :p

Overall, what are your opinions...

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I've never played PS3. It's made by Sony, and I hate Sony. I won't even consider buying one.

I've only played a couple of games on Xbox. The graphics are nice, but it's too big and way too loud. The controllers are confusing. You have to pay almost $100 to add wifi. You can't add an internet browser without modding it. I bought it primarily to use as a media player. Game-play seems like a step backwards after the Wii.

I've played Wii the most. It's a brilliant game system: cheap, small, quiet, and easy to use. It has built in wifi. It has an Opera browser. The wiimote is inspired. The games are fun.

3. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

we have all 3. Xbox has the best game selection, good graphics. PS3 has the best graphics by far, so-so game selection, and the Wii is our overall family favorite. , games are a bit weak however. If I could only get or have one gaming console it would be the Wii.

4. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

My Xbox WiFi adapter was only $40 so..........

5. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Well, I'm not going to get involved in any attacks against the other two consoles, so I'll just post some technical stuff about the comparisons between the two consoles.

[​IMG]

"The Xbox 360's CPU has more general purpose processing power because it has three general purpose cores, and Cell has just one."

[​IMG]

"Cell's claimed advantage is on streaming floating point work which is done on its seven DSP processors."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CPU

GPU

Bandwidth

... and here are some graphical comparisons between the Xbox 360 and PS3 (courtesy of Gamespot)

Xbox 360 Versus PlayStation 3 Graphics Comparison - Features at GameSpot
    Xbox 360 Versus PlayStation 3 Graphics Comparison: Round 2 - Features at GameSpot
    Xbox 360 Versus PlayStation 3 Graphics Comparison: Round 3 - Features at GameSpot
    Xbox 360 vs. PlayStation 3 Graphics Comparison Round 4 - Features at GameSpot

MY CONCLUSION

It's really just a matter of preference (Both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are both powerful machines in their own way).

The Xbox 360 has a slight advantage (graphically) with some games, and the PS3 has a slight advantage (graphically) with other games. Nothing groundbreaking (mostly shadow effects, textures, and some other minor things).

In the end, it's the same game and the games are equally enjoyable regardless of which console you play them on.

As for the Wii, well... That's a completely different animal and you can't really compare it to the other two.

You can use just about any router and flash it with DD-WRT and in the end it will only cost you about $20-30 (if you shop around). There was even a time where you could get a FREE router (from a company called FON), and you could use that on the Xbox 360. You just have to keep your eye out for good deals.

As for an internet browser, personally I find that to be an unnecessary feature on a video game console.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

I'm not a game player, though I was in my youth. I've seen all three and the graphics are nice on the X-Box and the PS3. However, the only game system I've ever wanted to actually play myself has been the Wii. I helped my sister set hers up and the adults played it more than the kids. Sure the graphics are circa 1999, but it's an absolutely ingenious interface, it works incredibly well, and the games are actually fun for families. Instead of creating isolated anti-social, introverted, couch lumps; it gets everybody off their ass and interacting. Now if you are like my family, "interacting" usually means a reenactment of The Sopranos "Intervention" episode, but hey, at least we are talking. :cool:

7. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yeah, that sounds like fun.

It isn't. But it would make the Xbox plus a D-Link DNS-323 a fantastic little media center. You would be able to find torrents on tracker sites, add them the bittorrent client running on the 323, which would then serve them over UPnP to the XBox, all without a PC. You could also go to Netflix and add content to your "Watch Instantly" queue.

The omission of a web browser is entirely motivated by Microsoft's greed, which is an unpleasant influence on what is supposed to be a source of fun.

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

The cheapest I've seen is $77. Mathematically speaking, that's a lot more than free.

9. hexagram

I don't see how the lack of a web browser on their console has ANYTHING to do with greed.

10. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

Just finished World of Goo for WII. Good stuff.

11. GordyMac

GordyMac Member

Well.. my favorite was the ps3, until I played the Xbox 360.. I find the controllers more comfortable and more games..

I do like the WII for fun just playing around as it requires your actual movements, but overall, I'm with the 360

12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Then google it. Microsoft won't put a browser on the Xbox because they don't want people to use it to replace a computer that might be running Windows. Microsoft looses money on each Xbox we buy, but they make money on each Windows computer we buy.

13. hexagram

That's not the reason. In fact, that's just speculation from random people on message boards (Microsoft never made such a statement).

Also, the Xbox 360 (or ANY video game console for that matter) can't replace a computer. People need computers for a thousand other things than just web browsing.

Let's also keep in mind that Microsoft has tried Internet on TV before (MSN TV [formerly WebTV])

It's just not a feature that most people look for in a video game console (in fact, Microsoft had a survey in 2006 asking people how interested they would be in an integrated Xbox 360 browser).

Apparently not too many people found it necessary (I sure don't).

14. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Nothing on a game console is "necessary". Sony and Nintendo offer web browers on their consoles, and neither of them sell PC operating systems.

15. xan_user

xan_user Banned

I wont buy anything Sony.

I hate buying anything Microsoft.

That leaves me with Nintendo, me and my kids couldn't be happier.

With netfix on the xbox its getting harder to stay away.

I could never see wanting to browse the web on a game console....unless maybe it played slacker steams.

16. hexagram

I don't know about Slacker, but I have SIRIUS on my Xbox 360 (along with other Internet Radio streams that I've discovered).

17. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I don't hate buying Microsoft products, but I do take a perverse pleasure in buying an Xbox and no games for it. They reportedly lose money on each console and only make it up if you buy games.

I don't want to browse the web from my consoles, but browsers can do more than that. The browser on the Wii can play flash videos, for instance, which lets it act as a rudimentary media player. There are products out there that convert audio & video from a hard drive or the web to flash.

I bet you could get Slacker to play over Opera on the Wii.

18. hexagram

You can play flash videos (including YouTube) on the Xbox 360 (using software that is readily available on the internets), and from what I hear, you can even play that Hulu thing that was mentioned on one of the Super Bowl commercials.

As for Microsoft taking a loss on each console, they have managed to drastically reduce manufacturing costs (I'm not sure whether or not they still take a loss per unit, but it is significantly less than where it was at launch).

Also, Microsoft is making more money than the PlayStation 3 and Wii combined... How? A little something called "attach rates" (which stands at 8.1 games per console). I personally own 35+ games.

Oh, and then you have Xbox Live subscription fees AND purchases made on Xbox Live Marketplace as another source of income for Microsoft.

19. xan_user

xan_user Banned

I like your line of thinking on the xbox w no games...or maybe even limiting your xbox game purchases to only used ones from craigslist. My kids might have a hard time understanding having an xbox and no games for it..

I'll have to put the 'opera on wii for slacker', on the long list of nerdy stuff i want to try.

(but I have HTPC thats always on and folding, so really i guess it would be sort of redundant now that i think about it.)

:p

20. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

We have a Wii for the kids (I play it a good amount too) and I have not played the 360 or PS3 but I know that I play the Wii and just wish that they had the same game selection as the 360 and the PS3. The wii is fun but I wish they had more of the adult styled titles available that the 360 and PS3 do really well with like GTAIV, FALL OF MAN, etc.

I used to love playing games like that on the PS2 and wish the Wii could adapt more of these titles.

The wii is really fun but they have A LOT of really lousy games.