Practice? I'm talkin' retirement...

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
AI announces his retirement. Waaaaaa! What does retirement mean in his situation? Nothing. He alienated another team with his attitude a handful of games into the season, was cut, can't find anyone who can make room for him. The retirement statement is just a way to keep his name in the media since retired or not, if a team with a chance in the playoffs comes along (1/2 the NBA teams) he probably will jump at the chance to play.

This may work out good for him, since some time on his butt could make him realize that he is in the "role player" period of his career. He can probably tack 6+ more seasons on his career by accepting the role as the designated shooter off the bench - like Steve Kerr for the Bulls.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Best trade the Nuggets ever made was Iverson for Chauncey Billups from Detroit. We wouldn't have gotten to the conference finals if it weren't for Billups being the director of the team. We certainly wouldn't have gotten anywhere close with Iverson.

I've always thought he's a highly overrated player. Nice if you have a bunch of chumps on your team and you need one guy to take over, but not so good if you have a talented team like the Nuggets, and can have multiple guys contribute. That was the key to that entire season.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Teams will put with your bad attitude when you're a superstar player, but now that his skills have eroded... see ya!

It would be a sad way to end to a good career, but I have trouble feeling sorry for him.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I was a big fan of him in his college days, but he turned out to be a turd over his long career. He was a great scorer, to win 4 scoring titles at his height is astounding. Took a lot of shots to get there, but that's a ton of work.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
This may work out good for him, since some time on his butt could make him realize that he is in the "role player" period of his career. He can probably tack 6+ more seasons on his career by accepting the role as the designated shooter off the bench - like Steve Kerr for the Bulls.

He's only a career 31% shooter from 3...not really a Steve Kerr kind of player.

He'd be really valuable though as a sixth man...someone who could come in and get some buckets when the offense is struggling. Like you say though, he has to realize that he's not one of the best players in the league anymore and accept a lesser role. Not sure if Iverson can do that.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
SIXERS talking to Iverson as of this afternoon. It would be cool to see him end his career in Philly. :bigclap:

gosixers2

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Tonight

The Sixers will be missing Allen Iverson for a second straight game because one of his children is ill. Iverson is averaging 14.7 points in 22 games during his second stint with the Sixers.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Now he's starting to sound like a country song...

Iverson reportedly has gambling problem, too - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I think I have heard this before in a country song...

I lost my job (was kicked off my team?)
I drink too much.
My wife left me.
She's taking my five kids.
I gamble too much.
I lose too much money, probably from gambling too much and drinking too much.
(if he owns a dog, it will probably run away too)

Any guesses on how long it takes for him to show up on one of Dr. Drew's reality shows?

Hopefully this doesn't have a bad ending. Someone should be keeping a close watch on him. It's a shame that a promising career can go in the dumper so fast.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Iverson reportedly has gambling problem, too - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I think I have heard this before in a country song...

I lost my job (was kicked off my team?)
I drink too much.
My wife left me.
She's taking my five kids.
I gamble too much.
I lose too much money, probably from gambling too much and drinking too much.
(if he owns a dog, it will probably run away too)

Any guesses on how long it takes for him to show up on one of Dr. Drew's reality shows?

Hopefully this doesn't have a bad ending. Someone should be keeping a close watch on him. It's a shame that a promising career can go in the dumper so fast.

I hope he goes into rehab and takes it serious. Being on one of those retarded realities shows is the worst thing he could do.