Post your strange SL2 issues here

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have had issues when I try to delete a recording.The unit will hang or generate an error.
I have had the unit not show the dot start up screen.
I have had duplicate preset (2 A-1s). I could not access either my A-1 or A-2 preset. Saving presets would always save one off (B-7 saved as B-6).

All these were fixed by a device recovery.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Don't have one anymore, but I remember:

Sometimes when switching between owned mp3s and live radio, the unit would reboot.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have also had loved songs and recordings disappear with no rhyme or reason. Again, a device recovery corrected this issue.
I have had my SL2 go into an endless reboot cycle (reboot, generate error, restart again). This was my first device recovery.

It is my believe that all of the issues I have had are a result of memory corruption. The symptom of the issue is a result of which memory gets corrupted. A device recovery rebuilts the OS and the memory thus correcting all the bugs. The last time with the missing startup screen is the most glaring proof of this theory.

siriusnj

Oct 29, 2008
Repeating the issue with the randomly deleted loved songs and recordings --

Also, I've had the new issue which I posted on about the battery not being charged while on any dock, unless the player is pushed backwards (a hardware issue, not a software issue)

Most other issues I have are just expected issues, that are resolved by powering down and back up, or doing a device recovery. The main one for them to fix is the randomly deleted recordings, which is fixed by doing an annoying device recovery. I haven't had that issue for awhile now, but I know others have said it's been fixed and then it eventually happens to them again, so I'm just waiting.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
If Sirius is serious about fixing some of the worst SL2 bugs, here are some reproducible ones:

1- Schedule a recording at 10:00am (pick whatever time you want). Leave your SL2 on the dock, but not playing anything. At 10:03am, tune your radio to listen to the ongoing recording. Bug: After a little while (1 to 10 minutes), the SL2 will stop playing and go back to the main menu. Workaround (until the bug is fixed): rewind a few seconds -> the SL2 does not stop playing when it is playing a few seconds back. Go figure why...

2- Schedule a recording at 10:00am (pick whatever time you want). At 10:03am, go to the Library. Go and select the ongoing recording, then delete it. -> You will atomatically get memory corruption from now on, until you do a Device Recovery (using your PC).

3- Schedule a regular long recording (something like 6 hours long) repeating Daily. Leave your SL2 on the dock (or take it a few times on the go and put it back on the dock for the recording to happen). After a while (two to six weeks), memory corruption will happen, unless you do a FULL shutdown of the SL2 regularly, before the memory corruption bug hits. If you record more, let say, 15-20 hours/day, you should hit the bug within less than 2 weeks.

4- Schedule a "regular" recording at 10:00am (pick whatever time you want). At 10:03am go to the Recording menu and change the parameters of the ongoing recording. You're then almost guaranteed to cause memory corruption.

5- In general, when a recording is ongoing, it's very easy to cause the SL2 to get into memory corruption. It seems that the SL2 programmers forgot about "concurrency" bugs. The SL2 should either:
  1. deny an operation (and tell the user why), if it would otherwise cause trouble due to a concurrent activity, or
  2. do the requested operation, but make sure things are done properly and no memory corruption is caused.

Hoping this helps Sirius programmers reproduce some of the most notorious problems.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Someone here suggested a long time ago, that manipulating scheduled recordings while a recording is taking place triggered the memory bug. I think there is something to that. I have consciously avoided doing that, and don't have the problem nearly as often. I used to record Stern separately Mon,Tues, Wed, Thur, an NHL show at noon, and Bubba in the afternoon, and I was experiencing the bug every couple weeks. Now I have just one Stern recording mon-fri, and manually delete the Friday show making sure not mess with it during recording. I've only triggered the bug a few times since. A simple reset and erase fixes the problem for me. God bless you Taylor if you can finally get this fixed. We'd all definitely owe you a round on us.

I'd like an SL3....As long as it's a SL2 with multi-tuners, and the bug fixed. :bigthumbup:

tbone

Oct 23, 2008
I have only had one problem so far, knock on wood. Sometimes after taking the sl2 off of the dock to listen to a replay, the volume will not work. I am unable to turn the volume up or down until I do a full shutdown.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have only had one problem so far, knock on wood. Sometimes after taking the sl2 off of the dock to listen to a replay, the volume will not work. I am unable to turn the volume up or down until I do a full shutdown.

I have had this happen too. The volume gets stuck at 100%. A sleep and unsleep fixes it for me.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
If i'm not actively listening to any radio programming, the SL2 will automatically go in to sleep mode.

siriusnj

Oct 29, 2008
3- Schedule a regular long recording (something like 6 hours long) repeating Daily. Leave your SL2 on the dock (or take it a few times on the go and put it back on the dock for the recording to happen). After a while (two to six weeks), memory corruption will happen, unless you do a FULL shutdown of the SL2 regularly, before the memory corruption bug hits. If you record more, let say, 15-20 hours/day, you should hit the bug within less than 2 weeks.

I don't think this is true. I've always recorded 6 hour blocks and my problems are not that frequent.

SonDan

Nov 15, 2008
oldschoolmusiclover.com
First Day stilleto2 blues

Got home from work, opened the package from Sirius, browsed the literature, activated the unit, installed software on PC and then upgraded software on the unit!

it is many hours later and unit screen is still stuck at "verifying files 99 per cent"

I am off to a lousy start here. Any ideas what's up with this please?

I am going to bed in hopes that when I awaken that last percent will probably be completed?!!!:mad::eek:;)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I had one just happen. I have a recording for overnight 5 days a week on channel 8. I changed it on Wednesday (starting Thursday) for channel 7. The recording worked. I decided to change back to 8 for today but the unit forgot the change and recorded channel 7. I changed the program again for Monday and we will see what happens.

Just to add, I changed the start date to be the next date as I always do when I update a recording. I know the SL2 gets confused if you don't.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I had one just happen. I have a recording for overnight 5 days a week on channel 8. I changed it on Wednesday (starting Thursday) for channel 7. The recording worked. I decided to change back to 8 for today but the unit forgot the change and recorded channel 7. I changed the program again for Monday and we will see what happens.

Just to add, I changed the start date to be the next date as I always do when I update a recording. I know the SL2 gets confused if you don't.

It left the recording of channel 8 from 10/02 which it should have deleted since I had "Keep 5" on it as well.

I had a single recording of channel 7 (AT40) from 09/21. I deleted it this morning. I then did my Saturday morning reboot. (I know after you delete a recording you should do a reboot due to memory corruption.) When it came back up I got the "Updating Library" message. This is a sign of some memory corruption with the delete recording option. It is also a forwarner of an upcoming device recovery. I give myself 3 weeks.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Got home from work, opened the package from Sirius, browsed the literature, activated the unit, installed software on PC and then upgraded software on the unit!

it is many hours later and unit screen is still stuck at "verifying files 99 per cent"

I am off to a lousy start here. Any ideas what's up with this please?

I am going to bed in hopes that when I awaken that last percent will probably be completed?!!!:mad::eek:;)

Here's what I do:
1) Hook it up to the antenna headphones and make sure it has a (mostly) clear view of the sky. Let it download stuff that way.
2) Use WiFi and let it download (more stuff?) that way.

I've had the software installed on my computer, but never actually used it other than to listen to live sirius programming.