Portable Speakers for Car

dhartsoc

Jan 14, 2009
My radio in the car only works when it wants to... rarely. There is a short somewhere in the steering column. When it does work I use the Sportster Replay FM tranmitter, and that works fine.

Since the radio is out most the time I have been using an old shortwave radio that has FM to listen in the car.

I have just decided to look for a pair of portable powered speakers with volume control to use for Sirius in the car. Does anyone have some recommendations I tried an old pair of Labtech powered pc speakers but they only produce a low volume for some reason. I have a little Sony speaker set that works, but it does not have a volume control.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I think I understand what you're trying to do here...

Maybe an old school battery powered boom-box.

Or [ame=http://www.amazon.com/DC011-Combination-Worksite-7-2-Volt-18-Volt/dp/B0002AJNPQ]this[/ame]

dhartsoc

Jan 14, 2009
Yea, the DeWalt would be very cool!

I am looking at the iLuv ultraPortable speakers which run in the 25-30$ range. Radio Shack (aka The Shack) have some fold-up speakers with a volume control. I'll check out the latter first because I can get them locally, but I don't expect them to produce adequate sound. I'm not asking a lot but there have to be minimum standards. Both speakers use 3 AAA batteries. It would be nice if they could also run off a car adapter but I don't think either can.

Dana

I think I understand what you're trying to do here...

Maybe an old school battery powered boom-box.

Or this

dhartsoc

Jan 14, 2009
I may have an old boombox lying around that has a dead cd player. Certainly will look at that option. For the moment I bought a cheap set of folding speakers from Radio Shack. They work if you get them off of the transmission tunnel and up on the dash somewhere. Volume is just adequate, fidelity is what you would expect from such speakers. The saving grace is no distortion on full volume. This is a stop gap measure. I've been using an expensive portable shortwave receiver with FM to listen to Sirius in the car. Did not want that stolen out of the car, they can have the $10 folding speakers.