Portable GPS?

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Looking for recommendations on portable GPS to be used primarily in my wife's 09 Pilot. I'm highly considering the Dash Express but the reviews are so-so. It has a today only price of $199 at Amazon so I figure I might snatch one up and give it a whirl. If it isn't nay good I could always return it for a refund. any other recommendations/advice on the subject are welcome. Thanks.

Dash: The Only Internet Connected Automotive GPS - Drive Smart!

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
I saw the same deal this morning and considering purchasing the DASH. Then my son calls me later today and wants me to look on Google Maps to tell him how to get back to his place of employment from a little community in South Texas (I had never heard of it). Made me think it was meant to be.

What was the main complaint on this unit?

EDIT:

Never mind, I read the reviews and still was going to purchase this unit for my son, but saw where it cost the same as a SiriusXM monthly sub. $12.99 for a GPS and traffic service compared to what SiriusXM provides? I'd rather get another SiriusXM subscription.

Last edited:

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
A year and a half ago I bought the Garmin Nuvi 680 for almost 1000.00 Now you can get the same thing for less than 200.00 I'd recommend it.

It does just about everything you would want. Yes it's not the latest, but it still works very well. It comes with north american maps. It also comes with a year sub to MSN direct to give you traffic weather and gas prices

It talks the only thing the newer models do is voice recognition and multiple routes.

Highly recommended.

Here is the Garmin link
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8579

If you buy it make sure it has 2009 maps. If not Garmin will give you a free upgrade.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
The Dash Express from Amazon for $199 free shipping. Oh and it's $9.99 per month with 2 year commitment.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have a Garmin 260 and its been great! I too recommend Garmin, I've had like 2 of these things over the years. One my son inherited when he kept using it and never would bring it back. LOL

AlbanyHDTV

Oct 29, 2008
Albany, NY
www.albanyhdtv.com
I purchased the Garmin Mobile XT software for my Palm Centro phone ($99). The maps are loaded via the micro SD card installed in the phone. I have the phone mounted next to my radio on the dash. The Garmin software uses the phone's internet connection to grab traffic info, gas prices, addresses, etc at no monthy cost. If I didn't already have the unlimited data plan for the phone, I would have to pay for the data usage to grab this info from the internet.

Oct 29, 2008

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
I have the TomTom GO 720, but wish I had gone with Garmin instead. In the almost year that I've had it, the battery life has gotten bad and the directions it gave me when I was out of state a couple of months ago were hit or miss...either telling me to go to a location that's no longer there or to turn the wrong way down a one way street. I even updated to the latest map and firmware and still had the issue.

Don't even get me started on the text-to-speech on this thing!! I've never heard the English language bastardized like this before! :rofl2:

I have the extended warranty with Best Buy so I may trade it in for one of the new Garmin units if they'll let me, but I doubt they will. :(

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
... or to turn the wrong way down a one way street....

I have the extended warranty with Best Buy so I may trade it in for one of the new Garmin units

I never thought about it before, but is a GPS broken if it gives you wrong directions? Or No directions...

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Has anyone used this unit:

58-108-292-16.jpg

And is this a decent deal: Garmin Nuvi 200W Refurb?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I purchased the Garmin Mobile XT software for my Palm Centro phone ($99). The maps are loaded via the micro SD card installed in the phone. I have the phone mounted next to my radio on the dash. The Garmin software uses the phone's internet connection to grab traffic info, gas prices, addresses, etc at no monthy cost. If I didn't already have the unlimited data plan for the phone, I would have to pay for the data usage to grab this info from the internet.

I have a Palm Centro that I use with Sprint. It's a nice phone, but if I would have known more about it, I would have bought a Blackberry instead.

Do you use Sprint? Can you buy this at a place like Best Buy?

Thanks...:)

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Well my new Dash Express Internet enabled GPS arrived today. It's awesome! I will more than likely returning it to Amazon however; Dash just laid off 66% off it's workforce AND will be exiting the hardware business to focus on supplying it's software to 3rd parties. major legue bummer! I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to check out their Insignia line of internet enabled GPS.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Has anyone used this unit:

58-108-292-16.jpg

And is this a decent deal: Garmin Nuvi 200W Refurb?

Yes and I don't know. My boss has one. It tried to send us to Pittsburgh through West Virginia 6 weeks ago. We'd still be driving...

I don't get car GPS units. Unless you travel a lot to new places, they seem kind of useless. I pretty much know where I'm going and where the nearest stuff is.

I do use a handheld Garmin 60csx at work. It's waterproof and pulls in birds in our basement office. And under trees in the field.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've got Google Maps on my Blackberry. It's free (and work pays for the Blackberry). If I need directions it uses cell towers to figure out my approximate location, and it has all of Google Maps database to search in. My work spouse has GPS in his car, but it's a year out of date and doesn't know where any of the new restaurants are.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I don't get car GPS units. Unless you travel a lot to new places, they seem kind of useless. I pretty much know where I'm going and where the nearest stuff is.

I leave mine on all the time, Its nice because it always is telling you the next street up ahead. I tend to use it more for the "When will I get there" answers. When driving to a friends house I can say I'll be there at 8:27 Even if you live in the area, sometimes it helps to find a new restaurant. I just upgraded my maps and found a new BBQ restaurant. Mine also connects to MSN direct. I use it for gas prices. Yesterday $2.19 at costco!