Political Talk Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Boohoo, he said some mean things in a group chat. Get over it. The person who should be protested is the leaker.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Boohoo, he said some mean things in a group chat. Get over it. The person who should be protested is the leaker.
I think the fact that thousands have died in the wake of the disaster, because of his ineptness and political posturing, is the real issue.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If we're talking hurricane ineptness miss mayor is standing squarely in the spotlight.
I don't see how that could be the case. She was the one undertaking all the effort, and raising all the flags. But that was viewed as complaining, because she's way out in a big, big ocean, so it's her fault. The governor just went along with the idea that PR is not a US responsibility (it is), and kept his mouth shut.

I think we've said what we wanted to say about this, and we should probably move on.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Here's the dumbest part about it. The conservative group that sponsored the event said this:

TPUSA apologized for the incident, telling CNN there was "zero malicious intent" behind the imagery.
"We're sorry for the mix-up and meant no disrespect to the White House or the President or the advance team," the TPUSA source said.

I hate when people just blatantly lie. How is this a "mix-up"? Do they have an entire collection of bogus presidential seals that they have to wade through, in order to find a genuine one? "Zero malicious intent"? How does someone pick a fake logo with references to Russia and golf, without malicious intent? They "meant no disrespect". Really? Then what exactly was meant?

Someone did this intentionally, and it made it through. Just admit it and move on.
1564159187428.png

Oh, and I also heard there's some derogatory spanish phrase in there too, maybe on the ribbon above the double heads.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Here's the dumbest part about it. The conservative group that sponsored the event said this:

TPUSA apologized for the incident, telling CNN there was "zero malicious intent" behind the imagery.
"We're sorry for the mix-up and meant no disrespect to the White House or the President or the advance team," the TPUSA source said.

I hate when people just blatantly lie. How is this a "mix-up"? Do they have an entire collection of bogus presidential seals that they have to wade through, in order to find a genuine one? "Zero malicious intent"? How does someone pick a fake logo with references to Russia and golf, without malicious intent? They "meant no disrespect". Really? Then what exactly was meant?

Someone did this intentionally, and it made it through. Just admit it and move on.
View attachment 5466

Oh, and I also heard there's some derogatory spanish phrase in there too, maybe on the ribbon above the double heads.

The spanish says "45 is a puppet".

I can believe this was an accident. Someone googled "presidential seal" and picked one without looking closely. Probably from here. It's the first one that popped up with an invisible background.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
That doctored seal was created by graphics designer Charles Leazott, who used to be a Republican but is a Republican no longer. You can guess the reason.

Speaking of that "reason," the President managed to get two highly partisan, pro-Trump judges appointed to the Supreme Court. The United States Constitution gives Congress, not the President, control over federal expenditures but the new, pro-Trump Supreme Court no longer cares about the Constitution. The Justices just voted 5-4 to allow the President to bypass Congress and raid the military budget so he can build the expensive, unnnecessary, ineffective Trump Wall monument to himself.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The spanish says "45 is a puppet".

I can believe this was an accident. Someone googled "presidential seal" and picked one without looking closely. Probably from here. It's the first one that popped up with an invisible background.

If you believe the TPA guys, they said the request for the seal came quite late and they were rushing. I can see it too. I bet you nobody noticed until they reviewed the video.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I appreciate sarcasm and clever insults (except when they're directed at me). Trump today called Al Sharpton a "con man" who "hates whites and cops." Sharpton had the perfect comeback: "If he really thought I was a con man, he would want me in his Cabinet."

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I think what Mama Cass says here about voting is really eloquent:

Makes me think, what non traditionally beautiful celeb women do you love? Mama Cass, Robin Quivers, Amy Winehouse and Janis Joplin come to mind right away for me.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Here is CNN's 17th bi-weekly "power ranking" of the Democratic Presidential candidates. Joe Biden remains the front-runner and Elizabeth Warren has risen to the #2 spot, displacing Kamala Harris. Andrew Yang, #10 on the list, wants to give a monthly $1,000 "Freedom Dividend" to every adult in the US and pay for it by imposing a national value-added tax. Is he serious? His supporters obviously love the idea of "free money" and don't realize how much that "free money" will cost them. Yang's poll numbers and the number of contributors to his campaign have been rising. Yesterday he met the threshold to qualify for the Democratic debates in August and September.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Universal basic income is not a joke. Eventually machines will do all of the jobs. We are well along that path. Either we take the wealth generated by those machines and give people food and houses or the people starve and die.

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Andrew Yang wants to give $1,000 a month to every adult in the US. Kamala Harris' proposal for a "basic income" would give a $6,000 tax credit to families earning less than $100,000 a year and a $3,000 tax credit to single filers earning less than $50,000 a year. The money would be paid monthly or annually. The Tax Policy Center estimates her plan would cost $3 trillion over the next decade and $3.4 trillion in the following decade.

In 1911, Swedish-born labor activist Joel Hägglund wrote this parody of the 1868 Christian hymn In The Sweet By & By:

You will eat by and by,
In that glorious land above the sky;
Work and pray, live on hay,
You’ll get pie in the sky when you die

"Pie in the sky" quickly entered our vocabulary. It means "a fanciful, unrealistic notion or idea; a pipe dream." I support the idea of a "universal basic income" but Yang's proposal and Harris' proposal are nothing more than "pie in the sky." The Atlantic just posted a video calling for universal basic income. One person commented, "What I would love to do is work my butt off to give money to all the slackers of the world." If every nation had worked throughout the 20th century to limit, or reverse, population growth, conditions wouldn't be so bad now. We have far too many people on this planet and not enough jobs, food or water for them.

Reactions: semipenguin

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Here is CNN's 17th bi-weekly "power ranking" of the Democratic Presidential candidates. Joe Biden remains the front-runner and Elizabeth Warren has risen to the #2 spot, displacing Kamala Harris. Andrew Yang, #10 on the list, wants to give a monthly $1,000 "Freedom Dividend" to every adult in the US and pay for it by imposing a national value-added tax. Is he serious? His supporters obviously love the idea of "free money" and don't realize how much that "free money" will cost them. Yang's poll numbers and the number of contributors to his campaign have been rising. Yesterday he met the threshold to qualify for the Democratic debates in August and September.

VAT is not a bad tax system. I think it is better than income tax as it taxes use rather than income. You don't get penelized for earning more but you pay for what you use. You usually have a credit for low income families to compensate. This is how the Canadian GST works. 5% on virtually everything. They did a small reduction in income tax to correspond but I don't think they did enough (but its government, what else is new?).

Status
Not open for further replies.