Pocket Tunes (Record SIRIUS XM on your iPhone/iPod Touch)

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
...you can: there's an app for that.

Pocket Tunes' latest update has included recording. That means internet web streams, including SIRIUS XM. Recording lengths are only limited by your storage capacity. That shows that Apple is loosening their hold on their internal memory, allowing apps to include recording/saving of data. Could an official way to record SIRIUS XM on their internet or SkyDock app be far behind? Perhaps...who knows... In the meantime, for $6.99 (on sale right now), anyone can record them for playback later.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Pocket Tunes (Now Records Sirius XM)

The folks at NormSoft have upgraded the Pocket Tunes Radio iPhone/iPod Touch app to now have the ability to record any stream you want - including recording Sirius XM satellite radio. Recording lengths are only limited by your storage capacity. And while playing back, you can skip forward and back to jump past songs - and commercials - you don't want to hear.

The update also might be good news for XM SkyDock owners as it could be an indication that Apple is loosening their hold on their internal memory and allowing apps to include recording/saving of data.

That was my one big gripe about the SkyDock - no timeshifting. So could an official way to record Sirius XM using their Premium Online app or XM SkyDock app be far behind?

Who knows - but in the meantime Pocket Tunes is available for $6.99 right now (iTunes link) so that anyone can record them for playback later.

Do you have the latest version of Pocket Tunes Radio? If so, sound off in the comments below!

From Orbitcast!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I am testing this out now! No way to schedule recordings that I see at this point. You basically just start the channel playing and hit record. This would of course work on an iPod Touch or iPhone. I would assume if you are doing it on an iPhone and got a call recording would be interrupted. With Apples current no background operation of course if you close the app recording stops.

It is good to see them at least allowing an app to record to the memory. Now if they would allow applications to run in the background this would be great. This is also potentially good news as mentioned in the Orbitcast article for the Skydock and Skydock Application for potential add on features.

Update: okay I just recorded Sirius Hits One and once you stop. If you got to the category my recordings, click on your recording in my case Sirius Hits One and bam it plays! THIS IS SO SWEET!

One last comment, makes one wonder how long it will be before Sirius XM tries to block Sirius XM content from NormSoft iTunes Application or if they have permission. Wish we new the answer to that. Still this is a great development.

Hatuxka

Dec 1, 2008
I am rushing home now to get Pocket Tunes updated on my 1st gen iPod Touch also. But how can they require disablement if the program simply records streaming WMA, AAC, and whatever else they mention? if you can't access the recorded content as files, what's the big deal?

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I just downloaded it. I just wish you didn't have to log in each time you open it up.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Really? You don't have to log in each time? I shouldn't say that I do but I just assume I do. I logged in once and haven't gone back in after that initial time. I'll have to give it a shot after I'm done syncing.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Oh shit. You DON'T have to log in again! I just assumed you would since they are using the internet app. This is great!!!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah once you login you don't have to do it each time. It seems to work very well!

Not even the SL2 can record the higher bitrate streams, so the sound quality is actual better than recording from the sats.

By the way I merged a couple of threads on the same topic and moved it to the iPhone/iPod Touch forum since this app is specific to it.

Sirterp

Oct 17, 2008
First of all thanks for the heads up and the info. This is really sweet! Recorded Ocatane Big Uns last night myself. One question though - is it just me, or does the Sirius stream sound better with this app than the others?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I am testing this out now! No way to schedule recordings that I see at this point. You basically just start the channel playing and hit record. This would of course work on an iPod Touch or iPhone. I would assume if you are doing it on an iPhone and got a call recording would be interrupted. With Apples current no background operation of course if you close the app recording stops.

Scheduling recordings would make this even cooler.

Theoretically you could put the phone in Airplane mode during the time you wanted to record and just have Wifi turned on if that was an option.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So, what's this I hear about people suddenly not being able to listen to Sirius XM channels on Pocket Tunes?

Not clear yet, apparently Sirius XM is making some changes to their XMRO service, but then again they may just be down. We've seen this before. Whatever they did their own Sirius XM online app for the iPhone and iPod Touch is not working either, along with any of the other 3rd party apps. So, apparently something is fouled up. So it isn't just Pocket Tunes. Sirius XM could screw up a soup sandwich so nothing surprises me out of this group. It would not surprise me to see them screw up their own App too.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Not clear yet, apparently Sirius XM is making some changes to their XMRO service, but then again they may just be down. We've seen this before. Whatever they did their own Sirius XM online app for the iPhone and iPod Touch is not working either, along with any of the other 3rd party apps. So, apparently something is fouled up. So it isn't just Pocket Tunes. Sirius XM could screw up a soup sandwich so nothing surprises me out of this group. It would not surprise me to see them screw up their own App too.
I hope that's it. Because I was looking at iPhones anyway and would definitely get Pocket Tunes to listen to Sirius where I can't with my Stiletto.

superflush

Nov 30, 2008

Hm. yea. Just checked to see if it worked, and it didn't

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Oddly enough I had to log in again yesterday (when the service wasn't' working) but I didn't have to today.